2004 AL MVP

Posted By: Jokerman

2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 02:39 PM

Again, beginning the discussion, here are the league leaders in that vital offensive statistic, run production:

1. M. Tejada 204
2. V. Guerrero 196
2. G. Sheffield 196
4. M. Ramirez 184
5. J. Damon 181
6. M. Mora 179
7. D. Ortiz 178
8. T. Hafner 177
9. M. Young 175
10. A. Rodriguez 174
10. H. Blalock 174
10. C. Guillen 174

I can think of three relievers that you might argue for as a dark horse, but I imagine it will likely go to an offensive player.
Posted By: Chi

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 02:58 PM

Sheffield is my choice. Without him, the Yankees would most likely not be in first place in the AL East. Not only has his overall offensive numbers been very strong, he has come through in the clutch time and time again for the Yankees. In addition to his offensive numbers, he has anchored the right field position for the NYY for most of the season.

Sheffield has also been playing hurt (left shoulder) for most of the season, yet he has played tough, which is emotionally inspiring for the team.
Posted By: redsfan

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 03:44 PM

I think the choice is much less clear here than it is in the National League. As good a year as Tejada has had, the Orioles have a sub-.500 record, which eliminates him.

I think you can pick from among Guerero, Sheffield, and Ramirez and do pretty well.

My choice is Guerrero, because of all the injuries the Angels have had. Without him, I don't think the Angels have any chance of making the playoffs.

If you wanted a dark horse, how about David Ortiz? He might be even more valuable than Manny in the Sox lineup.

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 04:02 PM

Quote:

If you wanted a dark horse, how about David Ortiz? He might be even more valuable than Manny in the Sox lineup.

I personally wouldn't vote for a DH.
Posted By: bb

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 04:03 PM

Quote:

I think the choice is much less clear here than it is in the National League. As good a year as Tejada has had, the Orioles have a sub-.500 record, which eliminates him.

Don't forget about A-Rod last season winning it for the last place Rangers.

I will agree that the AL race is a much tougher race to handicap.

I will throw out the "what about a pitcher agrument from yesterday." Schilling and Johan Santana are having great seasons. Where would their teams be without them?

As for the everyday players, it's a three player race:
Vlad, Manny or Shef (in no particular order).

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 04:59 PM

Quote:

Don't forget about A-Rod last season winning it for the last place Rangers.

Yeah, and I can't say that A-Rod's offense last year was better than Tejada's this season. BUT, last year, A-Rod and Delgado had a much better offensive season than the rest of the league. Add in the fact that A-Rod was so good defensively at the toughest position, and that tips the scales pretty heavily.

Quote:

I will throw out the "what about a pitcher agrument from yesterday." Schilling and Johan Santana are having great seasons. Where would their teams be without them?

I don't agree on Schilling, but Santana did enter my mind. I think you could make as strong a case for MN's closer (what's his name), though, and you could do the same for Cordero and Rivera. But still, I think it will (and should) be an offensive player.

Quote:

As for the everyday players, it's a three player race:
Vlad, Manny or Shef (in no particular order).

I would give it to Guerrero or Sheffield because they are much better defensively.
Posted By: zaibatsu

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 05:06 PM

Quote:

Again, beginning the discussion, here are the league leaders in that vital offensive statistic, run production:

1. M. Tejada 204
2. V. Guerrero 196
2. G. Sheffield 196
4. M. Ramirez 184
5. J. Damon 181
6. M. Mora 179
7. D. Ortiz 178
8. T. Hafner 177
9. M. Young 175
10. A. Rodriguez 174
10. H. Blalock 174
10. C. Guillen 174

I can think of three relievers that you might argue for as a dark horse, but I imagine it will likely go to an offensive player.

Who cares!

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 05:11 PM

Quote:

Who cares!

Well, it is the American League, so I understand the sentiment. But let's be fair - they do play what is a variant of true baseball, and they have some very talented individuals in that league, one of whom will be designated as the MVP.

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 05:17 PM

I pick M. Young. For a team to go from last (for a couple of years in a row) to possibly first in their division takes something more than good numbers.

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 05:56 PM

Even though Young and Blalock made the list, Texiera may be their best player - didn't he miss some games?

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 06:06 PM

Quote:

Even though Young and Blalock made the list, Texiera may be their best player - didn't he miss some games?

He wasn't on your list.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 07:07 PM

Manny is the man.
1st in HRs, Slugging, OPS, Total Bases, and hes had a pretty decent year in the OF. Just ask Miguel Cairo.

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...Texiera may be their best player...

He wasn't on your list.

The list was just to generate discussion. I never said that you had to be on the list in order to be worth consideration.

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 07:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...Texiera may be their best player...

He wasn't on your list.

The list was just to generate discussion. I never said that you had to be on the list in order to be worth consideration.

I need parameters man, parameters!!!
Posted By: TheTruth

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 07:43 PM

No one has mentioned Ichiro. If he breaks the hits record he may get some votes. Remember, Ortiz, ManRam, Sheff may split alot of the east coast votes allowing for Guerrero or Ichiro to sneak in, much like A Rod did last year.

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/24/04 07:44 PM

Quote:

Damn it, Z, I'm a doctor, not an engineer.
Posted By: Fraudman CFCI

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/25/04 12:56 AM

No question, Sheffield!
Posted By: bankguy

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 09/25/04 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Damn it, Z, I'm a doctor, not an engineer.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 10/04/04 02:29 PM

Hey I agree that the Yankees would have lost a few more games without Sheffield, but the Yankees still would have made the playoffs. Without Vald the Angels would have faded in September
Posted By: Cat Woman

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 10/04/04 03:20 PM

Manny is the man. GO RED SOX!!!!
Posted By: renniks

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 10/04/04 07:50 PM

How about Johnny Damon? Sometimes he is like a one-man team!!
Posted By: MelissaAnn

Re: 2004 AL MVP - 10/04/04 10:29 PM

Any non Washingtonians watch the Edgar Martinez Retirement ceremony? Thoughts?