NGO's

Posted By: rwhlpn

NGO's - 08/23/05 01:46 PM

With the new rules coming into play, I'm sure alot of your banks have charitable foundations. How are you planning on dealing with the new rules for NGO's?
Posted By: Hrothgar Geiger

Re: NGO's - 08/23/05 01:58 PM

We already cover the items listed on pages 162-163 in our Customer Due Diligence for these types of accounts. Further, they are treated as a special group within our AML monitoring software..

Of course, only our next exam will tell whether that's good enough....

Re: NGO's - 08/23/05 02:04 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. My bank has it's own Foundation that gives a $1,000,000 to charities that would be considered a NGO. These NGO's do not have accounts at this bank. Although a grant application may say the request the funds for one thing, it could be used for another.

Re: NGO's - 08/23/05 02:09 PM

Sorry, you're right, I wasn't looking at it from that perspective. Out of curiosity, does your grant application cover the information you'd expect to collect if the applicant were a customer? Also, do you have the applicant set up an account at the bank, and disburse the funds into the account?

Re: NGO's - 08/23/05 02:16 PM

The grant application doesn't come close to the old CIP requirements, let alone the new stuff on NGO's. The funds get disbursed by check at a social gathering to maximize publicity. We receive over 500 apps and give $$$ to 50-75. I'm struggling with the due diligence.
Posted By: 15jwolander

Re: NGO's - 08/23/05 03:11 PM

Can someone tell me what new rules you are discussing and where I can locate them? Thanks

Re: NGO's - 08/23/05 03:34 PM

Pages 162 and 163 of the new BSA/AML Examination Manual