Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#51371 - 12/31/02 07:44 PM employment reference policy
Anonymous
Unregistered

DO you know if we have to have a written employment reference policy in place? If we do, could you tell me a reference so that I can provide it to the management. Thanks!!

Return to Top
Human Resources
#51372 - 01/03/03 04:22 AM Re: employment reference policy
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Much has been written about the multitude of liability surrounding the release of inaccurate information in employment references, but little has been written about what the policy should include. A few states have specific clauses to include, but not knowing what state you are in I am providing the following vanilla text to use in developing your policy. NOTE: You must first assign one person (and only one person) in the Bank with the responsibility for managing this policy. This is the best protection for the Bank.

Employment References/Verifications
All requests for employment references and verifications of employment must be sent directly to (Title). Only requests that are accompanied by a signed release by the former employee will be accepted. No verbal requests will be accepted.

Only information submitted on the request will be verified and limited to the person dates of employment, title and ending pay. No other information will be released. If the request for information does not contain any of the above listed information, it can not be verified.

From time to time, the Bank will receive verification requests on former employees who are applying for a loan (mortgage, auto, personal, credit card, etc.)or federal living assistance (food stamps or housing assistance). These requests must also be sent directly to the (Title)for processing.

No one is authorized to provide any information on any former or current employee, except the (Title) or the President. Any violation of this policy is grounds for immediate disciplinary action including termination.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This wording keeps the process simple and prevents the release of any information that may be construed to be detrimental to the Bank. I trust this helps your efforts. Have a great day!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry