Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#383978 - 07/11/05 06:21 PM Jihad Is Knocking
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Sensational article by Bruce Thornton. The rest of the article is available at Victor Davis Hanson - Private Papers

Please just post the links in the future.
Last edited by Andy Z; 07/12/05 10:00 PM.
Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#383979 - 07/11/05 07:44 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm always confused by this...I've always thought that Allah meant God. Wouldn't disbelief mean "not believing in God?" I've always had a basic view of Christianity, Juadism and Islam. It seems that many of the basic tenets are the same, but people jumped off at different prophets: Judaism/Moses, Christianity/Christ, Islam/Mohammed.

God seems to be a given in all religions, what is the Domain of Disbelief among Muslims? Not believing Mohammed was a prophet? I'm very confused with the whole thing. It seems to me the message is twisted as it was during the Crusades.

Another thing: If they're so hot on bringing the world around to Islam, why do the solely target the West? Why not Hindu, Buddhism, etc...Or even the Atheist nation of China?

I don't believe Jihad is warranted. It's just a convenient excuse to terrorize and kill innocent people.

Return to Top
#383980 - 07/11/05 07:58 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

For whatever it's worth, we see ideological superiority between christian denominations and this is clear in many of the debates between christians on this site. A completely different set of teachings despite the presence of monotheism, a completely foreign culture and viola, radical fundamentalists.

Return to Top
#383981 - 07/11/05 08:29 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I've always had a basic view of Christianity, Judaism and Islam. It seems that many of the basic tenets are the same, but people jumped off at different prophets: Judaism/Moses, Christianity/Christ, Islam/Mohammed.

No, not at all. Judaism and Christianity depart on the issue of a Messiah. Islam and Mohammed have nothing to do with Christianity AT ALL. Islam tries to associate with Christianity by seeing Jesus as a prophet. That is not compatible with Christianity; therefore, there is no relationship. Jesus most definitely said he was God. So, you can't say he was just a man, without also saying that he is a liar or a lunatic. Definitely, the Christ of the Bible cannot be a prophet.

Because Christiantity teaches Christ is God, Muslims DO NOT worship the same God. Allah is not the God of the Bible.

Another fundamental difference is that Islam is about earning your way to Allah and Christianity is about Christ having done everything already on the cross.

Return to Top
#383982 - 07/11/05 08:47 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

allah and god are still the basis of montheistic religions though. i do believe in the christian world god is both the son and the spirit so in essense they are the same on one level.

Return to Top
#383983 - 07/11/05 08:59 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

allah and god are still the basis of montheistic religions though. i do believe in the christian world god is both the son and the spirit so in essense they are the same on one level.

Maybe an analogy. If you are not a believer from either faith, the best way to look at it is that they are like leaders of two entirely different nations. They are not the same person. If you are a believer from either faith, your God is like the leader of an actual country and the other's God may as well be the leader of Oz. These may not be perfect analogies. But if you are a believer from either faith, you do not believe that the other faith's God is real. As a Christian, I do not believe God's word makes room for an Allah to even exist. I am certain Muslims think the same about my God. I am betting my life that I am right and so he my Muslim friend. And I do have Muslim friends.

Return to Top
#383984 - 07/11/05 09:07 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Another fundamental difference is that Islam is about earning your way to Allah and Christianity is about Christ having done everything already on the cross.

And the quickest way prescribed by Koran of "earning your way" is killing a non-muslim - that takes you to the front of the line.

Return to Top
#383985 - 07/11/05 09:12 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe that is the problem. I'd like to think we are all humans and that one religion is not more favored than another in the eyes of god. Even my god.

Return to Top
#383986 - 07/11/05 09:29 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Maybe that is the problem. I'd like to think we are all humans and that one religion is not more favored than another in the eyes of god. Even my god.

The problem is not people thinking one God is real and others are not. People can coexist with this and have done so very well. If you don't believe me, just read Corrie ten Boom's book "In My Father's House." Her father, a Christian, regularly debated his Jewish friends (possible Rabbis--I forget) in his living room. He died for choosing to hide Jews during WWII. He chose to make this sacrifice for people who did not serve the same God. (It is not the same God because Jews do not think Jesus is God.)

I agree that one problem many Christians have is thinking, or at least appearing, that because they worship THE REAL GOD they are somehow superior. I do not think they were taught this by Jesus.

Another problem is thinking that worshipping THE REAL GOD (Allah) comes with a mandate to kill those who do not agree with you (Islamo-Fascists).

I don't think my belief that Father/Son/Holy Spirit are the one true God makes me superior to anyone. My relationship with God is one of an adopted child (read Ephesians). In fact, my relationship with God points out my failings in aces. I should fall on my face in light of God's holiness. How can I possible consider myself better when faced with God's perfection? How would I even have time to notice anyone else's failings and shortcomings with so many of my own. Additionally, Christianity teaches loviing those who are traditionally your enemy. If you don't believe me, read the story of the Good Samaritan. It also teaches loving cheaters (tax-gatherers), adulterers (woman at the well), etc.... I do not think it teaches superiority at all.

So, although I may think that my religion is the one true religion and that God has adopted me as my child, that should spur me to love, not revile. Love even Al Qaeda. I do not think that means I have to disapprove a defense from the Al Qaeda. You may wonder how this can be reconciled with the War or any war. Have you ever heard of someone having to kill someone they loved out of self defense or defense of another loved one. That does not mean they loved the person they were forced to kill any less does it?

One last point: If all Gods are really equal, then none of them can be true, right? All truths cannot be true.

Return to Top
#383987 - 07/11/05 10:56 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
I didn't want to believe this either. But the truth is the truth, no matter how painful.

In matters political Islam is a system of despotism at home and aggression abroad. The Prophet commanded absolute submission to the imâm. In no case was the sword to be raised against him. The rights of non-Moslem subjects are of the vaguest and most limited kind, and a religious war is a sacred duty whenever there is a chance of success against the "Infidel". Medieval and modern Mohammedan, especially Turkish, persecutions of both Jews and Christians are perhaps the best illustration of this fanatical religious and political spirit.

Mohammed and Mohammedanism
Catholic Encyclopedia (1911)
________

Just remember this.
It took deadly nerve gas, mass graves and plastic shredders to quiet down Iraq so that Saddam's minority Baathists could run the country.

That's what some poster in here means by "taking it up another notch...".

The only thing that will slow down the Islamists is brute force and deadly force.

Return to Top
#383988 - 07/12/05 02:01 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

And the quickest way prescribed by Koran of "earning your way" is killing a non-muslim - that takes you to the front of the line.

This is a dangerous and grossly ignorant statement.

Like the Bible is to Christian belief, the Koran is to Muslim belief.

If killing non-muslims was prescribed in the Koran to earn an automatic trip to heaven, I believe you would see rampant, indiscriminatory killing of non-muslims.

Jihad is the ultimate carrot on a stick for those who are poor (mind you, not all wealth is measured in gold) in the present and seek the promise of eternal paradise.

This concept is no different from the Crusades.

Return to Top
#383989 - 07/12/05 02:36 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do Muslims want to convert non-Muslims to their way of thinking? What do people find appealing about Mohammed's teachings? Forgive me, but I really don't know much about Islam, but I would like to understand. My personal view is that everyone is the hero of their own story, everyone thinks there right and justified in their actions, even murderers. Prejudice and xenophobia are undermined by trying to understand other points of view.

Return to Top
#383990 - 07/12/05 02:51 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, really this whole war in Iraq is an excersize in futility. Why can't the US just butt out and stop trying to be the world police? I'm only curious because I don't see what having Iraq under our democratic style of govt. is going to change. If we stay, there'll be lots of people dying. If we pull out, lots of people will be dying. Are we gonna go after China next because they aren't US mimmicks?

Return to Top
#383991 - 07/12/05 02:55 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Do Muslims want to convert non-Muslims to their way of thinking? What do people find appealing about Mohammed's teachings? Forgive me, but I really don't know much about Islam, but I would like to understand. My personal view is that everyone is the hero of their own story, everyone thinks there right and justified in their actions, even murderers. Prejudice and xenophobia are undermined by trying to understand other points of view.

Understanding Islam

Return to Top
#383992 - 07/12/05 03:01 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

So, really this whole war in Iraq is an excersize in futility.

I'm sorry, but how does this and your following points related to the discussion of Islam? Just curious.

Return to Top
#383993 - 07/12/05 03:16 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks, devil, your a God send!

Return to Top
#383994 - 07/12/05 03:16 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry Chi, You're right. It had no place in this thread. I retract it.

Return to Top
#383995 - 07/12/05 03:23 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

If killing non-muslims was prescribed in the Koran to earn an automatic trip to heaven, I believe you would see rampant, indiscriminatory killing of non-muslims.

rampant, indiscriminate killing of infidels

Return to Top
#383996 - 07/12/05 03:35 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Al-Qaeda and other Islamic Terrorist Groups do not share the same beliefs with the majority of Muslims on the planet who simply practice their faith in a peaceful manner.

Return to Top
#383997 - 07/12/05 03:38 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

Al-Qaeda and other Islamic Terrorist Groups do not share the same beliefs with the majority of Muslims on the planet who simply practice their faith in a peaceful manner.

Correct, Chi.

Return to Top
#383998 - 07/12/05 03:48 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
The saddest thing is that in theory, Islam and Christianity are two of the most passive anti-war religions in the world. Unfortunatly, in practice, people use religion as an excuse to go to war.

Return to Top
#383999 - 07/12/05 03:50 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

didn't Ghandi say that?

Return to Top
#384000 - 07/12/05 03:50 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
LEROY JENKINS Offline
War.. HUH!!
Good Gawd Yall!
~What is it good for?~
Absolutely Nuthin!

Return to Top
#384001 - 07/12/05 03:52 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leroy, see post under BOL Couch RE: Patriotism. War is a vacuum, man, I'm telling you.

Return to Top
#384002 - 07/12/05 03:54 PM Re: Jihad Is Knocking
LEROY JENKINS Offline
So it sucks?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7