Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1661032 - 02/06/12 05:28 PM Prepaid Access Cards
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
What are we as a bank supposed to be doing regaridng the Prepaid Access Rule? We know who are MSB's are and whether they provide prepaid access cards.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1661436 - 02/07/12 01:34 PM Re: Prepaid Access Cards Compliance Lover
newbietoo Offline
100 Club
From a recent seminar I attended, there is a difference between a seller and a provider of prepaid access and there are limits under each of those. I would think you would try to determine which category your MSB clients could potentially fall under as a start. We use a questionnaire that asks a series of questions and we are going to add some specific questions about prepaid access cards.

Return to Top
#1662360 - 02/08/12 09:53 PM Re: Prepaid Access Cards Compliance Lover
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
We have 3 MSBs and 2 sell prepaid phone cards. I am trying to figure out I should be doing now, too. In addition what exactly is the mandatory date to be in compliance? I see 60 days after publication in the Federal Register and 6 months- so where does that put the date? I am suddenly getting a lot of training webinars emailed that feature prepaid access.

Return to Top
#1662485 - 02/09/12 01:47 PM Re: Prepaid Access Cards Compliance Lover
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You will find the free FinCEN webinar here.

I read the regulation first. Then, I read it again after listening to the webinar. In short, there's no "off the cuff" or condensed answer anyone can offer in this area. You have to itemize your customer's activities then compare them to the regulation line by line. Experience as a haruspex (someone who reads the entrails of animals to tell the future) would be helpful.

Return to Top
#1662494 - 02/09/12 01:42 PM Re: Prepaid Access Cards Compliance Lover
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I can tell you from personal experience that if you have questions after reading the regulation and FAQs and listening to the webinar, call FINCEN. They will call back and discuss your situation with you in detail.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1662727 - 02/09/12 05:31 PM Re: Prepaid Access Cards Compliance Lover
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how can we identify our customers who are now MSBs under the new rule? I'm sure our branch folks will know some customers who sell prepaid access cards but can we expect them to know every customer we have that fits the definition? We can ask new customers when they open their accounts, but what about existing customers?

Return to Top
#1664141 - 02/13/12 04:57 PM Re: Prepaid Access Cards Deena
MHuff Offline
100 Club
MHuff
LA
Originally Posted By: Deena
We can ask new customers when they open their accounts, but what about existing customers?

We have the same question. The only thing we would know to do would be to contact our existing commercial customers by letter and explain the requirements. I asked an auditor about this, and he said it would be a risk-based decision.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z