Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1863971 - 10/22/13 10:08 PM MLR question about NRAs
Compl101TX Offline
Gold Star
Compl101TX
W. TX
I was asked to help with the MLR. For Non-Resident Aliens, one FAQ says "the bank is required to report the geographies from which the NRA customers originate.

We are debating as to what originate means. We have customers that live in Mexico but they are Canadian Citizens (the Mennonites). I sided with reporting them in the Mexico field and the BSA Officer says to report them as Canada. Which is it? Thanks for any help.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1863982 - 10/22/13 10:38 PM Re: MLR question about NRAs Compl101TX
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Only the OCC can know for sure. But if they are not US residence, I think they want to know their actual residency not where they are currently living.

Return to Top
#1864009 - 10/23/13 11:30 AM Re: MLR question about NRAs Compl101TX
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
rlcarey's right, it's not an NRA question, it's a question for the OCC because it revolves around how they want their form completed. My guess: They're assuming that you ID'ed your NRA's with a passport and they want the country of issuance. Alternatively, the country listed on their W8-BEN if you have one. Of course, they could have just asked you that...

Return to Top
#1864050 - 10/23/13 01:38 PM Re: MLR question about NRAs Compl101TX
Compl101TX Offline
Gold Star
Compl101TX
W. TX
We haven't asked the OCC. We have been reporting the passport's country of issuance as the BSA officer stated. I guess I'll leave this alone and stay with these answers.

Thank you very much to you both!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z