Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1494102 - 01/12/11 06:51 PM grand jury subpoena for SAR info
babyboomer Offline
Oklahoma
If you receive a grand jury subpoena for any SAR filings from an agency like the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Agriculture, do you have to acknowledge the existence of any SAR and comply with the request and provide a SAR(s) and the documentation?? Need help quick!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1494176 - 01/12/11 07:45 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info babyboomer
huezoslb Offline
100 Club
Long Beach, CA
The inspector's office obviously already knows that you filed. I'm sure they dug it up thru the Detroit Computing Center. Sure, comply and provide all documentation that you gathered to help their investigation.

Return to Top
#1494189 - 01/12/11 07:53 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info babyboomer
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: babyboomer
If you receive a grand jury subpoena for any SAR filings from an agency like the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Agriculture, do you have to acknowledge the existence of any SAR and comply with the request and provide a SAR(s) and the documentation?? Need help quick!
\
If you receive a subpoena for an actual SAR you are to notify FINCEN immediately.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1494871 - 01/13/11 07:30 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info xerx
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I wouldn't provide copies of any SARs (they can get those themselves), but I would comply with an appropriate subpoena for bank records.

Return to Top
#1494983 - 01/13/11 08:54 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info babyboomer
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
From FinCEN's November 23, 2010 guidance on SAR confidentiality:

If you or your institution becomes aware of an unauthorized disclosure of a SAR or if your institution receives a subpoena for a SAR, you should immediately contact FinCEN's Office of Chief Counsel at (703) 905-3590 as well as your primary federal regulator, as may be applicable in a corresponding SAR rule.

I suggest you call the national, not the local, office of your regulatory agency.

Any true LEA has direct or indirect access to the SAR data base; they do not have to get them from you.

Return to Top
#1495811 - 01/14/11 08:14 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info Elwood P. Dowd
BC78a Offline
Gold Star
BC78a
New York
Ken are you sure of your answer. I also found the following in the 11/23/guidance:

However, the regulations make clear that, provided no person involved in the transaction is notified that the transaction has been reported, the prohibition does not include disclosures to (1) FinCEN; (2) any Federal, state, or local law enforcement agency; (3) any Federal regulatory agency that examines the depository institution for compliance with the BSA;

Sicen it was from the Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Agriculture I belive you can supply the SAR

Return to Top
#1495835 - 01/14/11 08:25 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info BC78a
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'd make sure of whether that office qualifies as (1) a law enforcement agency, or (2) a regulator who examines my bank, by contacting FinCEN before releasing the SAR.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1495876 - 01/14/11 08:43 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info John Burnett
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: John Burnett
I'd make sure of whether that office qualifies as (1) a law enforcement agency, or (2) a regulator who examines my bank, by contacting FinCEN before releasing the SAR.

Agreed. Given the recent guidance on this issue, I would be want to be 100% sure of whom I'm dealing with and whether or not they should have access to a SAR. At the end of day, the only entities opinion that really matters on this issue would be that of FinCEN.

Return to Top
#1495896 - 01/14/11 08:55 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info BC78a
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I could be mistaken, but I think that is referring to notice of an issue or activity to law enforcement, not provision of an actual SAR. There are any number of circumstances that could warrant notifying law enforcement of a situation for their immediate investigation or intervention. You would then include that information in your SAR.

Return to Top
#1495919 - 01/14/11 09:17 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info BrendaC
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Actually, it states that those are acceptable exceptions to the general prohibition against revealing that a SAR has been filed, assuming, of course, that no subject of a SAR may ever be so notified. Again, I'd strongly urge that the bank check with FinCEN concerning whether the Ag Department's IG office is a law enforcement agency authorized to receive such information. It most certainly is not the bank's regular regulator for exam purposes.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1495926 - 01/14/11 09:23 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info John Burnett
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I can't imagine any circumstances in which I would be comfortable providing information to anyone in the Dept of Agriculture before checking with FINCEN and my own federal regulator.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1495937 - 01/14/11 09:34 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info Elwood P. Dowd
ComplianceJoe Offline
New Poster
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
From FinCEN's November 23, 2010 guidance on SAR confidentiality:

If you or your institution becomes aware of an unauthorized disclosure of a SAR or if your institution receives a subpoena for a SAR, you should immediately contact FinCEN's Office of Chief Counsel at (703) 905-3590 as well as your primary federal regulator, as may be applicable in a corresponding SAR rule.

I suggest you call the national, not the local, office of your regulatory agency.

Any true LEA has direct or indirect access to the SAR data base; they do not have to get them from you.

I would really follow this advise. I just did our annual BSA policy review, and it is very clear and specific that you DO NOT release any SAR information and to contact FINCEN if you do get a subpoena

Return to Top
#1496036 - 01/15/11 12:25 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info BC78a
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Yes, from reading the four corners of the guidance, I'm sure of the answer...a subpoena for a SAR requires notice to FinCEN and the bank's federal functional regulatory agency.

As John and Kaybee note, the agencies you notify might do some arcane analysis of the demanding party's LEA status then tell you you can comply. That does not waive the notice requirement.

Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 01/16/11 11:04 AM. Reason: Per Retread's post below, deleted statement that OIG's were not LEA's

Return to Top
#1496071 - 01/16/11 01:29 AM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info Elwood P. Dowd
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
For the record, the Investigative Division of the Department of Agriculture's OIG is law enforcement.

http://www.usda.gov/oig/invest.htm

FYI, there are gun toting agents of the FDIC's OIG that are law enforcement officers, and the same is true for most other US Government OIG offices. It's the HHS OIG law enforcement people that investigate Medicare Fraud and the HUD OIG law enforcement that often investigate Mortgage Fraud in our area. They all have arrest powers and I know Treasury, FDIC, HHS and HUD OIG investigative agents have access to SARs.

Return to Top
#1496075 - 01/16/11 01:03 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info Retread
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Thank you for the correction. Here's an albeit unofficial web site site that lists federal law enforcement agencies. It includes several OIGs.

Return to Top
#1496349 - 01/18/11 04:52 PM Re: grand jury subpoena for SAR info babyboomer
babyboomer Offline
Oklahoma
Well here is what came of my original situation - which I may not have handled correctly from some of the posts:
I told the person from Dept of Agriculture OIG that he couldn't subpoena me for SAR info. I told him if he had a specific request for back-up documentation regarding a specific SAR filing that he had researched, that I could provide that to him.He seemed confused and didn't understand what I was talking about. A few days later I was contacted by a FBI agent who had an SAR in hand with filing date etc(for same customer) and the FBI agent requested the documentation that went with the filing. I feel more protected responding to the request now.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z