Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#375822 - 06/21/05 08:54 PM Exempt from RESPA
harleesmom Offline
New Poster
Okay---I saw that a few of you have been going back and forth about two separate RESPA questions--the threads are long and detailed--so I am posting your response for you here. I received this in writing from HUD, Jim Sorrentino---
Question 1

3500.5(b)(1)- Exemptions

A loan on property of 25 acres or more.

What does "on" mean?

"On" means a loan SECURED BY property of 25 acres or more. Since the exemption refers to "property", and not "a property", this means that the loan is secured by property totalling 25 acres or more. So if a loan is secured by two (or more) non-contiguous properties with a total acreage greater than 25 acres, the loan is exempt under 3500.5(b)(1).

Question 2

3500.5(3) states that a "bridge loan" or "swing loan" in which a lender takes a security interest in otherwise covered one- to four-family residential property is not covered by RESPA and this part. Temporary financing, bridge or swing loans, construction loans with no permanent financing ARE NOT covered, but if they have permanent financing, they ARE covered. This sentence in 3500.5(3) appears to contradict that understanding.

There is not a contradiction. Bridge and swing loans are short-term, non-permanent loans. If they are not short-term and non-permanent, they are not bridge or swing loans, and the exemption does not apply. The confusion comes about because of the reference in the question to "construction loans with no permanent financing", which are not covered; but if "they" (meaning the construction loans) have permanent financing, then "they" (the construction loans) are covered.

To make the second one more clear----I asked him is a Bridge or Swing has a permanent take out or permanent financing set up with the same lender---does this mean RESPA applies--he said yes.

So there you have it--straight from HUD.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#375823 - 06/21/05 09:50 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

So there you have it--straight from HUD.

Which contradicts the answers I got from Mr. Shapiro from HUD's RESPA Office of General Council and the FDIC.

Return to Top
#375824 - 06/21/05 10:05 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
harleesmom Offline
New Poster
Don't know what to tell you--FDIC does not write RESPA--it is HUD's rule. Jim has not led me down a wrong path in four years. I have always been taught what he said, I have worked by this ruling, and now I have it in writing. He also said he ran his repsonse by "the Director of the Office of RESPA/Interstate Land Sales," so I would not do anything any different than what I was able to provide.

Just my thoughts---

Return to Top
#375825 - 06/21/05 10:18 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
harleesmom Offline
New Poster
I also checked HUD's website--only spent about 10 minutes--could not locate Mr. Shapiro in any legal or Office of RESPA division? Maybe he is no longer there?

Return to Top
#375826 - 06/22/05 02:22 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I believe I'll stick to my opinion in the previous thread. I think I can defend this position with examiners. If examiners should choose to make an issue of it, it will the first time in the long history of bridge lending at this bank. The section of RESPA in question is clearly written in black and white....no interpretation necessary. It says what it says.

Return to Top
#375827 - 06/22/05 03:11 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

I also checked HUD's website--only spent about 10 minutes--could not locate Mr. Shapiro in any legal or Office of RESPA division? Maybe he is no longer there?

My telephone call was placed to RESPA's OGC to a Paul Ceja, you should have found his name. Mr. Shapiro (if I understood his name correctly) is the one that returned the call and rendered the opinion, and according to him after discussing it with other people within his office.

I also, as you can see, am still trying to get another opinion, but so far I have received no response.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2005 4:46 PM
To: 'hsg-respa@hud.gov'
Subject: FW: 25 Acre Rule 3500.5(b)(1)

I again would like to follow-up and request that a response be given for the question asked below.

Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 4:42 PM
Subject: FW: 25 Acre Rule 3500.5(b)(1)

I would like to follow up on this question.

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 10:41 AM
Subject: 25 Acre Rule 3500.5(b)(1)

RESPA, HUD's Regulation X

3500.5(b)
Exemptions.
(1) A loan on property of 25 acres or more.

Does this exemption apply to a single parcel or to multiple parcels?

Examples:

1. A purchase, or refinance of a 27 acre parcel containing a 1-4 residential dwelling. This transaction would be exempt based on 3500.5(b)(1).

2. A purchase, or refinance of a 15 acre parcel containing a 1-4 residential dwelling and an additional 15 acre parcel of land only (total acreage equals 30). The loan's purpose is not for an agricultural purpose or qualifies for any other exemption. Would this transaction be exempt from RESPA requirements based on 3500.5(b)(1)?

Thank you,
Dan Persfull
V.P. Compliance Officer
The Peoples State Bank
Ellettsville, IN
812-876-2228 ext. 31

From: joanne_b._kuczma@hud.gov [mailto:joanne_b._kuczma@hud.gov]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 10:36 AM
To: Dan Persfull
Subject: Fax Dated 5/13/05

Mr. Persfull,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry, but have been out of the office on business until yesterday. The Atlanta HOC is not responsible for administering RESPA guidelines. There is a RESPA Division in our Washington Office. The web address for the RESPA site is: http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/res/respa_hm.cfm

At the bottom of the RESPA page, select Comments and Questions and you can send you inquiry directly to the RESPA Division via e-mail. I apologize that I'm unable to respond directly to your inquiry, but going to the source for an appropriate response is more appropriate.

If I can be of other assistance, please let me know.

Joanne B. Kuczma
Chief, Insurance and Underwriting Branch 2
888-696-4687, x2707
Joanne_B._Kuczma@hud.gov

Return to Top
#375828 - 06/22/05 04:09 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan, I wish I knew how to help you get a follow up. That is strange. I hear all of the time that folks have a terrible time getting through to HUD. I will post if I get anything different.

Swiggles--it is a banking decision- I think you are wrong.

Return to Top
#375829 - 06/22/05 06:21 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

Swiggles--- I think you are wrong.

Possibly. It sure wouldn't be the first time. I wish RESPA had a commentary. That might sway my opinion. Perhaps a non-writing idiot penned the reg. If I were the writer, and it was my intent to require RESPA coverage on bridge loans, I would have made it crystal clear. It is more crystal clear the other direction.

I will look forward to other comments on this issue.

Return to Top
#375830 - 06/22/05 06:39 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

It is more crystal clear the other direction.

In a lifetime of dealing with HUD and FHA...this is way too often the case! I have often said...call 3 people and get 10 different answers up there!

My personal feelings are that their intent was to handle bridge loans in the same manner as construction loans. The typical bridge loan is truly temporary and is generally paid-in-full by the current residence sale. If not, and you will be providing permanent financing once you know what the remaining balance will be...then to me, it falls under the same guidelines as CL's and becomes a disclosable loan. It would be nice to get something definite on this issue. I also agree...it would be really nice to have a commentary on RESPA..but knowing HUD...it might just muddy the water even more?!?!?!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#375831 - 06/22/05 06:55 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Could this thread be moved to the Lending section? That is where I would search for it. It is definitely a lending topic.

Return to Top
#375832 - 06/22/05 10:14 PM Re: Exempt from RESPA
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
3500.5(b)(3)

Temporary financing. . . . A ``bridge loan'' or ``swing loan'' in which a lender takes a security interest in otherwise covered 1- to 4-family residential property is not covered by RESPA and this part.

Borrower: What if my home doesn't sell by the time the loan comes due?

Loan Officer: We can either renew it for you, or convert it to a term loan? If we convert it to a term loan. Here are the estimated costs (GFE), and interest rate and payment terms (ETIL).

IMHO, RESPA will not apply to the bridge loan. It is still temporary financing. And there is no reference to "if the loan may be converted" for a bridge loan as there is a construction loan.

I'll stand with Swiggles on this one.

Quote:

If not, and you will be providing permanent financing once you know what the remaining balance will be...

I do not believe this would be the same scenario as being discussed (I didn't go back to the original thread). However, if the lender knows that the sale of the house will not be enough to extinguish the debt and that they definitely will be converting an unpaid balance to permanent financing, then I think I would have to side on the side of disclosing. The short term loan is the first phase of a two phase permanent loan. I'm not even sure I would classify such a loan as a bridge loan because it isn't bridging the gap if there will be a known shortage.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z