Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1297270 - 12/02/09 06:40 PM Giving cust copy of their CR Rpt
In Need of Help 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Okay...we have had a general rule in the bank that we do not give our customers a copy of their credit report that we pull. A loan officer is questioning me on this and I really can't say exactly why we came to that decision. With my mind whirling with RESPA, HPMLs, and everything else right now I can't think of a reg/law or guide that we are violating in doing that...can someone help me here...

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1297287 - 12/02/09 06:50 PM Re: Giving cust copy of their CR Rpt In Need of Help 101
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
You need to read the contract between you and your CBI. You can discuss it and they may allow you giving a copy, but generally the contract will not allow the latter.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1297307 - 12/02/09 07:03 PM Re: Giving cust copy of their CR Rpt RR Joker
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
I may be mistaken, but I thought the FCRA prevented CRA's from prohibiting FI's from providing copies (at their discretion).

Return to Top
#1297328 - 12/02/09 07:16 PM Re: Giving cust copy of their CR Rpt M Cockrell
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: M Cockrell
I may be mistaken, but I thought the FCRA prevented CRA's from prohibiting FI's from providing copies (at their discretion).

That's true, but only IF you deny them based on the CR. See ยง607(c).

Return to Top
#1297337 - 12/02/09 07:20 PM Re: Giving cust copy of their CR Rpt David Dickinson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Correct, along the same lines as you HAVE to give a copy if it's for employmement denial reasons.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1297528 - 12/02/09 09:23 PM Re: Giving cust copy of their CR Rpt RR Joker
BFaith Offline
No, the FCRA does NOT prohibit you from providing copies of the credit report to the consumer. Scroll down to "Section 604-General #3" which states:

3. User's Disclosure of Report to Subject Consumer

The FCRA does not prohibit a consumer report user from giving a copy of the report, or othervise disclosing it, to the consumer who is the subject of the report.

Also, our credit bureau contracts don't prohibit it either. In fact, they state that we CAN give a copy to the consumer.

I'm not saying I recommend it, but it isn't prohibited.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z