Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1569128 - 06/23/11 08:20 PM Minimum income requirement - disparate impact?
Always questions Offline
Can using a minimum income requirement create disparate impact? My thoughts were yes but then I noticed that one of the decline reasons on one of the sample AANs was did not meet minimum income requirement...

Thoughts?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1569160 - 06/23/11 08:38 PM Re: Minimum income requirement - disparate impact? Always questions
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I would be more comfortable basing it on ratios instead of a minimum, but I'm not aware any prohibition from doing so.

To avoid the disparate impact you would want to be sure the minimum income was not set so high that it automatically eliminates customers in your low to mod income tracts. IOWs you need to do a income study for your market and not just pick a number out of a hat.

Return to Top
#1569184 - 06/23/11 08:51 PM Re: Minimum income requirement - disparate impact? Dan Persfull
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
^^^ Ditto... maybe start by researching median income levels for your assessment area. That way if an examiner were to question the minimums you set, you would have documentation of how you reached your numbers. HUD and Fannie Mae might be two places to look for this information.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1569196 - 06/23/11 09:01 PM Re: Minimum income requirement - disparate impact? manimal
Always questions Offline
The concern was about lending too much to lower income people that would keep them from having any disposable income, even with a low to medium DTI.

Great idea regarding the assessment, thank you.

Return to Top
#1569272 - 06/23/11 10:49 PM Re: Minimum income requirement - disparate impact? Always questions
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
At the last FI I worked, we not only looked at the DTI, but at the residual income. They had to have a certain amount of income left after expenses to qualify for the loan.

Return to Top
#1577551 - 07/13/11 07:39 PM Re: Minimum income requirement - disparate impact? Doug Hendrickson
Always questions Offline
Doug, do you remember what the residual income qualifier used was? I'm assuming a percentage?

Return to Top
#1577557 - 07/13/11 07:43 PM Re: Minimum income requirement - disparate impact? Always questions
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
No, it wasn't a percentage. This FI used $900 for the first person and $200 for each dependent. So if it was a couple with 2 kids, the residual income would be $1,500. Don't ask me how they came up with those figures. I presume part of the $900 was for the household itself (gas, electric, etc.) and then $200 per month for each person (e.g., food).

Return to Top
#1577558 - 07/13/11 07:45 PM Re: Minimum income requirement - disparate impact? Doug Hendrickson
Always questions Offline
hmm, so if someone only made $1000 a month gross then they were declined automatically. I will look more into that, thanks!

Return to Top
#1577641 - 07/13/11 08:55 PM Re: Minimum income requirement - disparate impact? Always questions
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Qualifying for a VA (Veterans Administration) loan includes calculating residual income-you could probably find them on the VA website

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z