jewelry as loan collateral

Posted By: rexinaudit

jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:04 PM

The bank has taken as loan collateral a 7.5 carat diamond ring and diamond bracelet. The client is wearing the collateral. The bank has been listed on the client's insurance as loan loss payee and the bank has filed a UCC along with the appraisal on the ring and bracelet with the Sec of State's office.

Any thoughts on the adequacy of this arrangement? I had expected that the bank would hold the collateral in its vault under joint custody. But this is an unusual transaction for this bank.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:08 PM

This is new to me. I would assume (and you know where that gets you) that the bank would want possession.
Posted By: complyguy

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:16 PM

Not directly related to the lending aspect, but I thought that for rocks of that size, the owner wore a replica in public to avoid the possibility of loss or theft.

By the way, did you get any kind of certificate from a gemnologist? First, you want to be sure that you weren't looking at a replica when you saw the collateral. Second, the size may be huge, but if the clarity, cut, etc. are substandard, its value may be less than you'd think.

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:22 PM

The bank obtained an appraisal, I presume from a knowledgable person.
Posted By: DawgFan

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:31 PM

I agree with Autumn, I would want to actually have the (real) rock in a safe place, under the bank's control. That type of collateral could be lost or stolen very easily.
Posted By: WildTurkey

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:36 PM

Unlike autos and real estate, there is no mechanism for registering your interest in jewellery, so although you have registered your interest in the insurance, you are still exposed to the risk of a fraud by the borrower who sells your collateral and defaults on the loan.

I would say that you should have the original gems in your vault.
Posted By: Don_Narup

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:41 PM

IMHO
This is an unsecured loan in disguise. How would you ever repossess the collateral? and What ever possessed a loan officer to take this as collateral?

I won't even go into all the ways the value of jewelry is effected, but unless the loan officer knows them, and has documentation from a reliable independent third party you can't even begin to determine a value. If the loan to value was based on the retail value established by an appraisal provided by the borrower you have another problem.

Borrowing on a luxury item like this would make me question financial ability. I hope there is a good primary and secondary source of repayment other than the sale of the diamond.

You are correct the collateral should be locked up in the banks vault. They want to wear it, pay off the loan.

IMO The borrower should qualify for this unsecured and if not pass

Posted By: Sponge Steve

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:50 PM

Around here we call that psychological collateral. There's nothing there other than the borrower or the bank might think there's collateral.

There are some goods you can perfect against only by possession. Gold bars, rare coins, jewelry and such fall into that category.

If the loan goes into default, good luck finding the rock you think you had.

Reminds me of the story of crooked jewelers who clean rings for free but switch worthless stones for the good ones while the customer waits for the cleaning (or would that be a hosing?).
Posted By: Andy_Z

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:51 PM

This was always a dangerous loan. I've never done one, but for security you'd want pictures, a credible valuation and the jewelry secured in your safe deposit box for safe keeping.

Otherwise, what do you do if the items are lost in luggage, went down the drain, etc.

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:53 PM

Even pawn shops take possession....
Posted By: Michelle M

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 08:59 PM

I agree with the concensus. Either label it an unsecured loan (and all that goes with that) or take possession of the jewlery until payoff.
Posted By: SMQ, CRCM

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 09:16 PM

This thread reminds me of something I once heard---wearable collateral and walking collateral have one thing in common-----they can (& often do) both walk away!!

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 09:22 PM

Why a house makes better collateral than Jewlery...
......... You can't skip town with a house.

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 09:27 PM

In reply to:

Why a house makes better collateral than Jewlery...
......... You can't skip town with a house.

I can tell you don't live in NC! ... or TN, TX, KY, AR, FL, ....

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 09:30 PM

??? huh???? You can skip town with a house? ... a whole house? ... or are me talking mobile home?

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 09:33 PM

In reply to:

.... or are we talking mobile home?

Same difference around here!
Posted By: 1 Peter 5:7

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 09:41 PM

Reminds me of this . . .
Q: In Arkansas, how are a divorce and a tornado alike?
A: Either way, somebody's losin' a trailer.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 09:41 PM

Without possession you have a violation of the FTC's Unfair and Deceptive Credit Practices Act. Section 227.13 indicates, "It is an unfair act or practice for a bank to enter into a consumer credit obligation that contains any of the following provisions, ....(d) a nonpossessory security interest in household goods other than a purchase money security interest." "Jewelery" is included in the definition of household goods in section 227.12(d). You may also find this in Reg. AA. If this is a nonpurchase money, consumer loan - you might have a little regulatory problem.
Posted By: Ted Dreyer

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/27/03 09:55 PM

Actually, jewelry is excluded from the definition of "household goods" under 227.12, except for wedding rings.

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/28/03 12:11 AM

Good catch, Louvera.

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/28/03 01:05 PM

Thank you for the insight on FTC rules. This loan, however, is a commercial loan.

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/28/03 01:08 PM

Re: "There are some goods you can perfect against only by possession. Gold bars, rare coins, jewelry and such fall into that category."

The bank has filed a UCC on this jewelry. Are you saying that a provison of law makes this filing of no effect?
Posted By: redsfan

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/28/03 01:50 PM

There is a strong possibility that if your borrower wanted to, they could sell your collateral without your knowledge and consent.

Jewelers are not very likely to check with the county courthouse or secretary of state (or whoever handles filings in your state) to determine whether or not the jewelry they are about to buy is subject to a security interest.

The average consumer on e-bay or who reads your newspaper is even less likely to do so.

Even if you managed to track the jewelry once it is sold, I find it unlikely that the courts would punish a buyer who purchased the jewelry in good faith just to protect you from your lack of foresight.

Collateral has value as collateral only if you can actually sell it to recover your loan. Bankers would take possession of business furniture, fixtures, and equipment if it wasnt for the fact that the business could not operate if they did.
Posted By: HRH Okie Banker

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/28/03 02:03 PM

We have taken diamonds as collateral a few times. We have the customer get a current appraisal from a jeweler, which can identify the stones and establish collateral value. Then we open a safety deposit box, bank and customer on signature card. The Bank's key can go in your collateral vault. In addition, all parties should be present when collateral is put in box. This way there cannot be any question of switching diamonds at the time the collateral is being released.
Posted By: waldensouth

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/28/03 02:40 PM

Thank's Ted, I read that backwards. You can tell that this law was written in an age where wedding rings meant something and people would really be willing to repay the loan to get them back

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/28/03 03:42 PM

In the age of stock certificates being the only means to identify ownership the only way to perfect against stock was to take possession. A UCC filing against stock certificates then was meaningless.

As Paul points out, if the collateral is stuff the bank cannot practically take possession of the way to perfect is to UCC file. You start getting into gray areas when the item is large. Would a gun collection in possession of a consumer be best perfected by UCC or by possession? I would argue by possession. Would a Renoir hanging on the wall be best perfected by possession or UCC? I would say by possession. A 1965 Cobra? Fortunately such a vehicle would be titled so lien on title is the way to go.

Perfection protects against the claims of 3rd parties. If it's in the bank's possession it would be pretty tough for a 3rd party to claim it's theirs. The UCC says a possessory perfection beats a filing perfection unless the filing perfection is done in accord with another statute. Thus, if the diamond is pledged to one lender who does a UCC filing with no possession and the borrower goes to a pawn shop and surrenders the diamond to the pawn shop the pawn shop wins as they have possession. On the other hand, if the borrower pledges a car to a bank that merely takes possession and stores it in the bank's garage and another lender later advances funds and files a lien on the title to that same car, the latter lender wins in a fight as the latter bank followed another statute that says perfection by lien on title was the way to go.

State law probably does not address how to perfect a lien against a Renoir or a gun collection so possession obtained by another lender is going to beat the bank that merely filed a UCC.

In Michigan we have an issue with snowmobiles being untitled goods. A UCC will protect against a 3rd party buyer (we hope) but if another bank took possession of the snowmobile as collateral the UCC lender would likely lose. This is a bit ridiculous example as no bank is going to take possession of a snowmobile but it could happen.

Ag bankers know they have to follow other weird rules on how to perfect against crops, hogs and other livestock. Absent those perfection rules the only way to perfect would be to take possession. How do you take possession of hundreds of acres of growing plants? Who wants possession of 300 hogs?

If there is no other statute in your state that addresses how to perfect, take possession.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: jewelry as loan collateral - 01/28/03 04:44 PM

The only way to perfect your lien in this type of collateral is by POSSESSION. It is like a stock certificate, you either have possession from the individual or an acknowledged control agreement from a broker. Customer does not keep it with him.