Who does compliance report to?

Posted By: c@c

Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 03:16 PM

Our bank is in the process of restructuring certain reporting lines. Could anyone please share who your compliance officer and staff reports to?
Posted By: Dani York, CRCM

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 03:36 PM

I'm the BSA Officer and the CO. I report to the President.

In a past life, when doing only compliance, I reported to the Senior Credit Officer. IMO, this is a huge conflict of interest.
Posted By: AFaquir

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 03:52 PM

Generally in my experience, Compliance should report to either a) Chief Risk (Management) Officer or b) President/CEO... They should also always have an additional line reporting directly to the Board of Directors.

Compliance is an officer position and as such (even without titles like VP, EVP, or SVP) should have direct reporting lines to the highest level of management or at least an appropriately titled and trained C-suite executive who's primary function is the protection of the bank (hence the CRO)... if the CRO has the reporting responsiblity of compliance issues above the CEO and directly to the board.

Otherwise the CEO and the Board is who the Compliance Officer should report to.

Cheers!
Posted By: renniks

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 06:14 PM

I am Compliance and BSA Officer. I report to the CEO (dotted line) and to the Audit Committee of the Board (solid line).
Posted By: manimal

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 06:33 PM

I am the CO and I report to the bank President.
Posted By: Christine81

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 07:23 PM

I am the Audit and Compliance Officer...I report to the CFO dotted line and the Board of Directors solid line.
Posted By: ACBbank

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 08:45 PM

I'm the BSA/CRA Officer and I report directly to the CO, who in turn reports to the President. I also have direct access to the Board.
Posted By: Skittles

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 08:58 PM

I have worked in 4 different banks as a CO and have reported to:

The Internal Auditor
The CFO
The COO

However, in all cases this was for daily routines and administrative. Technically I always reported to the Audit Committee.
Posted By: #Just Jay

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/23/11 09:53 PM

Compliance and BSA Officer... report to the EVP/CFO for day to day items, but ultimately to the Board.
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/24/11 02:07 PM

CRA/Compliance: CEO
Posted By: fun grandma

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/24/11 08:21 PM

Compliance/CRA - CEO then board
Posted By: AllSmiles

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/24/11 08:34 PM

Compliance/BSA - CFO and President with direct access to th Board
Posted By: Bullseye

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/26/11 02:42 AM

Compliance/CRA reporting to the Chief Operations Officer
Posted By: AnnRoy

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/27/11 01:47 PM

Our CO reports to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) who heads up the Risk Mgmt Division. Under Risk Mgmt are the following depts - Internal Audit, BSA, Compliance, Operational Risk, Loan Processing and the Chief Credit Officer who oversees the following functions -Loan Review, Special Assets, Credit Risk Mgmt, Credit Analysts and Business/Consumer Lending Services (underwriting).
Posted By: LNBcompliance

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/27/11 02:33 PM

I report to the BOD. The BOD does my annual reviews.
Posted By: Y'all Comply

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 06/28/11 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: renniks
I am Compliance and BSA Officer. I report to the CEO (dotted line) and to the Audit Committee of the Board (solid line).

Same for me.
Posted By: RBanker

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 07/09/11 07:17 PM

Compliance and OFAC - report to COO.
Posted By: becky p

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 07/31/11 06:33 PM

AnnRoy, I am wondering who your CRO reports to? Also, when you mention Loan Processing, is under CCO, does that include the document processing or just the underwriting, analysis, review components?
Posted By: WonderWoman

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 08/08/11 04:00 PM

BSA/CRA/SOX, Internal Audit, & Compliance report to CRO - who then reports to Audit Committee.
Posted By: Trees

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 10/13/11 04:52 PM

Recent examination said no to the C.O.O. as this person was responsible for line activities. Potential conflict of interest, so they said.

So we created a Risk officer....and I report to that person....in a dotted fashion but to the board as well.
Posted By: MyKidsMom

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 10/13/11 09:32 PM

Trees - What sort of background does your risk officer have? We are in the process of creating such a position and I'm doing some research
Posted By: Patricia

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 10/24/11 06:48 PM

I am the CO and report to the President with direct access to the Audit Committee and BOD
Posted By: RBanker

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 10/24/11 07:03 PM

COO, Audit Committee and BOD
Posted By: West Coast Comp

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 11/17/11 05:51 PM

General Counsel, CEO
Posted By: Matt_B

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 11/17/11 06:13 PM

Our CFO/Executive VP, that's it at this point. I'm hoping when I've proved myself somewhat educated that I'll have access to the board directly...but have been given no indication of that.
Posted By: Cliffhanger

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 11/17/11 07:50 PM

CO --->CFO operationally, report to the Board
|........................................^
Posted By: Retired DQ

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 11/29/11 05:57 PM

CEO
Posted By: Sound Tactic

Re: Who does compliance report to? - 08/06/13 03:23 PM

I think it depends on your role in the organization. If you are a true compliance officer, where you assess risk, write policies, do QA reviews and provide help to departments you can really report to anyone.

If you are serving as a formal audit function there is only one area you should report to, and that is the BOD. If you are to be independent you should never be reporting to an internal employee. Additionally, if you are a true auditor, you are serving as a representative of the board and only the board.