CIP Requirements for LLC

Posted By: CantBeShocked

CIP Requirements for LLC - 05/03/12 09:45 PM

I know that CIP is not "required" for authorized signers on a corporation. What about authorized signers on a Limited Liability Company (LLC)? Is CIP required - not suggested - required?

On a side note - if you think this question is dumb and are tempted to post a snarky answer, please don't. I'm deadly serious and need help!

Thanks.
Posted By: Doug Hendrickson

Re: CIP Requirements for LLC - 05/03/12 10:06 PM

Since the regulation calls for CIP of your customer and the LLC is the legal entity that would be your customer, I would only CIP the LLC.

Just as a clarification, we generally ask for identification (ssn, dl, etc.) for authorized signers, just so that we can assure ourselves that they are who they say they are and 'tie' them to the account, but this is not considered as part of CIP.
Posted By: Kathleen O. Blanchard

Re: CIP Requirements for LLC - 05/03/12 10:30 PM

If your CIP program does not say it is required it is not required.
Posted By: rlcarey

Re: CIP Requirements for LLC - 05/04/12 11:47 AM

However, beneficial ownership is a hot button with FinCEN and you might want to review this advanced notice of proposed rule making issued by FinCEN in Feb 2012:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012-03-05/pdf/2012-5187.pdf
Posted By: BSA all the way

Re: CIP Requirements for LLC - 05/04/12 12:35 PM

Rules or not, my feeling is that as an organization, I want want to know who I am doing business with..plain and simple. The world is too crazy to look for technical ways around it.
Posted By: CantBeShocked

Re: CIP Requirements for LLC - 05/04/12 08:59 PM

I agree with BSA All the Way but I needed what is "required" at this time. Thanks.