Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#102097 - 07/30/03 10:58 PM Truth In Savings Disclosures - font size?
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Ok, here's an obscure question....

Reg DD says:

230.3(a) Form. Depository institutions shall make the disclosures required by §§ 230.4 through 230.6 and § 230.10 of this part, as applicable, clearly and conspicuously, in writing, and in a form the consumer may keep.

Does anyone have a definition of "clear and conspicuous"?

I know I heard somewhere that 10-12 pt font would be passed without any problem, but that 8 pt was pushing it...

Can't remember where I heard that, and now that we're printing up another batch of disclosures, they want to know if we can scale it back to 8 pt to save paper (read: to save $$).

I can't find any citations for recommended sizes, and was wondering if anyone out there might be able to point me in the right direction...

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#102098 - 07/30/03 11:46 PM Re: Truth In Savings Disclosures - font size?
111 Offline
Gold Star
I'm not aware of any guidance in this area, specifically under Reg DD, but HERE is a BOL Guru post relating to fonts and disclosures RE: Credit Card - specifically mentioning 8 point as not meeting the standard - covering that product.

Return to Top
#102099 - 07/31/03 01:51 AM Re: Truth In Savings Disclosures - font size?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Some of this is, will a reasonable person see your disclosure and be able to understand them? Is it buried in small fonts or hidden at the end of a 30 page disclosure?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#102100 - 07/31/03 03:47 PM Re: Truth In Savings Disclosures - font size?
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you want to use TISA disclosures to make your product understandable and marketable, you need to understand your target market. If you market to a largely "seasoned citizen" crowd, you might want to rethink that "save paper" mentality, and jack up your point size for some offerings.

Can you spell "presbyopia"?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#102101 - 07/31/03 05:04 PM Re: Truth In Savings Disclosures - font size?
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Consider "boomer enhancement" to be a part of your ADA responsibility or just good business---I don't buy it if I can't read the small print. (Warning: extended exposure to the duties of compliance managment can result in irreversable cynicism.)

Return to Top
#102102 - 07/31/03 05:17 PM Re: Truth In Savings Disclosures - font size?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You may also want to look at state law. I belive (not certain) that NJ has a law which requires a minimum size font.

Return to Top
#102103 - 07/31/03 05:18 PM Re: Truth In Savings Disclosures - font size?
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I've been told no smaller than 6 pt

Return to Top
#102104 - 07/31/03 06:21 PM Re: Truth In Savings Disclosures - font size?
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Thanks for the help, everyone.

I printed out the Reg Z info (Thanks, Ten.), and let my manager know about the ADA issues, etc. (I know I have trouble reading 8 pt without assistance, and I don't need reading glasses - yet.)

We'll probably go with 10 pt font (right in the middle), just to try and apease both sides.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett