Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#103814 - 08/06/03 04:30 PM How do I send a credit card check for collection?
tjbanker Offline
Gold Star
I am wondering how do I send a credit card check in for collection? We do have customers come in that would like to deposit a check that is drawn on their credit card account. I would like to send the check in for collection instead of directly depositing to the account. I would appreciate someone letting me know how this is done. Thanks!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#103815 - 08/06/03 04:38 PM Re: How do I send a credit card check for collection?
111 Offline
Gold Star
If it's a check, it's got to have an ABA routing number, but may not have the name of the drawee (payable through) bank - you would need to look up that routing number for the name and address of the bank to send it for collection.

Return to Top
#103816 - 08/06/03 04:51 PM Re: How do I send a credit card check for collection?
tjbanker Offline
Gold Star
Do you just send in the check with the regular outgoing items for the day? How do you know when it has cleared? Or do you send it through the mail? Thanks

Return to Top
#103817 - 08/06/03 04:56 PM Re: How do I send a credit card check for collection?
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Your bank doubtless has a department or person responsible for collection items. Find out where they are, and use their expertise. They will have standard collection forms.

These items are virtually all done by direct mail to the drawee bank.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#103818 - 08/06/03 05:06 PM Re: How do I send a credit card check for collection?
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Do you just send in the check with the regular outgoing items for the day? How do you know when it has cleared? Or do you send it through the mail? Thanks

1) An outgoing collection form is prepared, a copy of the check is retained, 2) the collection form along with the check is forwarded via US mail to the drawee bank.

The drawee bank has an obligation to forward payment within a few days after receiving the collection or return the collection unpaid with a reason noted.

Return to Top
#103819 - 08/07/03 09:49 PM Re: How do I send a credit card check for collection?
tjbanker Offline
Gold Star
Thanks for the information. Our bank has not used this method before but I wanted to let them know there was an alternative if a customer wanted to deposit a questionable credit card check.

Return to Top
#103820 - 08/07/03 10:08 PM Re: How do I send a credit card check for collection?
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Our bank has not used this method before but I wanted to let them know there was an alternative if a customer wanted to deposit a questionable credit card check.

Sometimes I wonder about the state of banking.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett