Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1042534 - 09/15/08 08:16 PM Reg Z or not?
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I have a loan with a purpose of "to pay legal settlement". The customer is a professional who lost on a covenant not to compete suit. The new company is willing to have payments taken from its General Operating account. So, in summary, the loan was made to the individual but her employer is making the payments.

Since the debt is closely related to her line of work - can you use that as an exemption from Reg Z?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1042722 - 09/16/08 12:17 AM Re: Reg Z or not? Tesla
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I'd say there's nothing about the purpose that's personal, family, or household use.

Return to Top
#1043036 - 09/16/08 03:45 PM Re: Reg Z or not? Richard Insley
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Really? She was sued as an individual. If we hadn't given her the loan, the settlement would be paid from her personal assets. Maybe I am taking this one too far. Is your conclusion based on the fact her new employer is paying a portion of the settlement or because she wouldn't be in the situation if not for her employment? (Just trying to straighten it out in my head.)

Return to Top
#1043159 - 09/16/08 05:10 PM Re: Reg Z or not? Tesla
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By: SkiDoo
Really? She was sued as an individual.

She's a consumer, but the nature of her debt is professional, not personal.

If we hadn't given her the loan, the settlement would be paid from her personal assets.

Other options for discharging her debt have no effect on the purpose of the loan.

Is your conclusion based on the fact her new employer is paying a portion of the settlement or because she wouldn't be in the situation if not for her employment?

The latter. She needs the money to resolve a debt arising from her profession, not her personal life.

Return to Top
#1043167 - 09/16/08 05:18 PM Re: Reg Z or not? Richard Insley
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Ok - I can agree with that. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z