Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#105217 - 08/11/03 06:07 PM Reg E
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a customer who has unauthorized transfers on his account going all the way back to April and we received
notification of the unauthorized transfers on August 4. As I understand Reg E, he is liable for the lesser of $50 or the unauthorized transfers during the first 60 days after the first statement on which the error occurred. Total unauthorized debits during the 60 day period are $4,400. Our customer does not want us to credit him with this amount because the "unauthorized" person was his "troubled" wife....are we required to credit him with the money? I'm thinking yes???

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#105218 - 08/11/03 06:19 PM Re: Reg E
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If the transfers in question were made by the depositor's wife, your customer has a choice to make. Either he decides to pursue error resolution under ยง205.11, thereby ensuring that the bank will want to pursue the alleged thief (his wife), or he decides to, in effect, ratify the transfers, in which case they are no longer unauthorized.

In other words, he can either put in a claim that you must work, or not.

If he refuses to enter the claim, you should not refund the money. If he has entered the claim, you can decide the transactions are not unauthorized if the customer says so in writing. Otherwise, I believe you'd have to complete your investigation, which would lead to a credit to his account, and would undoubtedly lead to discovering that his wife made the transfers. Then you'd have to decide whether to prosecute her.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#105219 - 08/11/03 07:26 PM Re: Reg E
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Our customer does not want us to credit him with this amount because the "unauthorized" person was his "troubled" wife....are we required to credit him with the money?

If he filed a claim and that is how you are aware of this, have him submit a notice withdrawing the claim and possibly stating that it was his wife and he does not consider these unauthorized.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett