Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#105762 - 08/13/03 04:21 PM Reg. DD Consumer or Account
Happy Offline
Gold Star
Happy
Reg. DD describes bonus at 230.2(f)as Bonus means a premium, gift, award, or other consideration worth more than $10 (whether in the form of cash, credit, merchandise, or any equivalent) given or offered to "a consumer" (my quotation marks)during a year in exchange for opening, maintaining, renewing, or increasing an account balance The commentary says 3. Aggregation. In determining if an item valued at $10 or less is a bonus, institutions must aggregate "per account"(my quotation marks) per calendar year items that may be given to consumers. In making this determination, institutions aggregate per account only the market value of items that may be given for a specific promotion.
If you give a movie ticket away when an account is opened and the value is less than $10, can you give a ticket to 6 account owners and not aggregate them for "bonus" purposes? This would be 6 different people on one account (college students)

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#105763 - 08/13/03 05:01 PM Re: Reg. DD Consumer or Account
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
You would have to add the value of the six tickets for bonus purposes - since they are to be given for opening one account.

Return to Top
#105764 - 08/13/03 07:01 PM Re: Reg. DD Consumer or Account
Happy Offline
Gold Star
Happy
When you report on the 1099, you aggregate accounts for one consumer, so wouldn't it make sense that you can give a ticket to each consumer on an account?

Return to Top
#105765 - 08/13/03 07:14 PM Re: Reg. DD Consumer or Account
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
The IRS and Reg DD use different criteria. For Reg DD bonus purposes, you aggregate by account; for IRS interest reporting, you aggregate by customer. Maybe this article that Mary Beth wrote will help you.

Return to Top
#105766 - 08/14/03 01:00 PM Re: Reg. DD Consumer or Account
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not to get off the subject, but who in their right mind would open a joint account for six college students? I see trouble in your future.

Return to Top
#105767 - 08/14/03 05:52 PM Re: Reg. DD Consumer or Account
Happy Offline
Gold Star
Happy
Now Now -- Don't be so critical. This is for a group of college students that live in the same apt. and need a food fund. What... you don't believe that??

Return to Top
#105768 - 08/14/03 06:55 PM Re: Reg. DD Consumer or Account
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Definition of food: beer, pizza, beer, wine, pizza . . .[Urp!]
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett