BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#107111 - 08/15/03 08:48 PM credit reporting / 30 day delinquency
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
We have an internal discussion in progress regarding when a loan should be considered 30 days late for credit reporting purposes. My opinion is that we should report accounts as 30 days past due if the payment is not paid within 29 days of the due date. For example, if payment is due on 7/15, and it's not paid by 8/13, it should be considered 30 days past due. The CBIA Metro II reporting guide seems to support that method. The other argument is that an account should not be reported as 30 days past due until the next payment due date arrives, regardless of how may calendar days there were between the two due dates.
I haven't been able to find any regulatory guidance on this question, and the credit bureaus themselves haven't really offered much guidance when asked. Also searched Bankers Threads & didn't find any previous discussion on the subject.
Any guidance, opinions, info, etc. regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#107112 - 08/16/03 02:22 AM Re: credit reporting / 30 day delinquency
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I've worked on systems that used each and it was a surprise to us when the last system counted the actual days and the prior used one payment to the next.

I'm not sure there is a definition unless defined by the credit bureaus. But I don't know that it is.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#107113 - 08/16/03 05:19 PM Re: credit reporting / 30 day delinquency
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Thinking out loud it would seem most loan systems would have to incorporate both ways of accounting for delinquencies because of the loans that are not obligated to make a payment every 30 days. Pay dates could be less or more than 30 days. It would seem more reasonable to count the actual days, but I have never seen any regulatory guidance or CB guidance on this question.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett