Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#108026 - 08/19/03 08:38 PM Proper storage for blank forms?
wwmike Offline
wwmike
walla walla, wa, usa
We currently laser print our Cashiers Checks on blank forms at Teller stations. The form is colored and includes the bank's logo, but all other information, including the check number, MICR line, and authorized signature are printed when a new check is created. We also have some checks preprinted with all features to use in case our computer system is down and a check cannot be printed. The preprinted checks are stored under dual custody. The blank forms are locked in storage rooms, files, desks, but not under dual custody. I seem to be one of a few people who are nervous about the less restrictive storage rules for blank forms. As a blank, they are certainly not negotiable, but with the increasing counterfeit problems and the even greater problems a counterfeit check on actual bank check stock can cause, I'd like to store the blank stock under dual custody too. What are others doing if you laser print checks and have large supplies of blank checks? Anyone as paranoid as me? Thanks for any comments.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#108027 - 08/19/03 10:08 PM Re: Proper storage for blank forms?
ABrown Offline
Gold Star
Texas
We must be paranoid too because we keep all of our blank check stock in a safe deposit box. There are four of us on the signature card and two must be present to open the box, sign out a certain number of checks, and close the box.

Return to Top
#108028 - 08/25/03 03:26 PM Re: Proper storage for blank forms?
Just Jean Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Just because you're judged paranoid doesn't mean you're wrong. If blank forms are allowed to be stored in unsecured areas, people will not attach any importance to them which may lead to unnecessary exposure. Look at all the problems state governments have had with blank birth certificates and drivers license stock. Maybe one of the most important things about dual control and secure lockup of stock is the message that it gives the employees --this stuff is important and is not to be treated lightly.

Return to Top
#108029 - 08/25/03 04:35 PM Re: Proper storage for blank forms?
Terah2 Offline
100 Club
Terah2
I suspect that, if you can print your checks on the blanck check stock, so can a fraudster. Such a fraudulent check would be colored just like yours. Unpleasant.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z