Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1090435 - 12/02/08 08:02 PM e-delivery of annual privacy notice
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We have a number of customers that have signed up for e-statements. This year, we want to deliver the annual privacy to these customers electronically. I want to do the following; as with e-statments we send a notice via e-mail that their statement is now available on our secure site. Customer goes to that site and clicks on his/her statement. With the privacy notice can we:

1. send e-mail stating "your annual privacy notice is now available for review" or something to that effect. the customer would then go to our secure site and click on a button "annual privacy notice". Done....right???

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1090707 - 12/03/08 11:08 AM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice Trees
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
If you included e-privacy-notices in your customer agreement,then you can proceed as you and the customer have agreed. Unless the privacy notices are included in an agreement of some type (doesn't have to be ESIGN-compliant), Sec. 216.9(a) prohibits e-delivery.

Return to Top
#1090802 - 12/03/08 02:45 PM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice Richard Insley
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We used the standard verbage provided and used by most banks wherein the people click on in agreement to accept all "notices"....I think that should be OK, right?

P.S. Does my description of how we want it to work sound correct?

Return to Top
#1091434 - 12/03/08 10:47 PM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice Trees
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By: Trees
Does my description of how we want it to work sound correct?

It has to work the way the customer agreed it would work.

Return to Top
#1093158 - 12/07/08 11:19 PM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice Richard Insley
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Be sure to look at 216.9(c) for delivery via your web site. If your customer agrees to receive that posted notice on your web site, put the current notice there, keep it there and keep it current and you won't have to send it annually on paper or bits and bytes.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1093360 - 12/08/08 04:58 PM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice Andy_Z
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Thanks...in terms of the notification e-mail message, do banks typically say something along the range of>>>>our annula privacy notice is available for review. You can check it on our site, under the tab privacy or in our secure trans site, under the tab privacy".....

Return to Top
#1093825 - 12/08/08 11:35 PM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice Trees
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
They still have to agree to receive the notice there, so a statement as to where they should look isn't an agreement.

http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/216/216-9.html
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1094395 - 12/09/08 07:52 PM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice Trees
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: Trees
Thanks...in terms of the notification e-mail message, do banks typically say something along the range of>>>>our annula privacy notice is available for review. You can check it on our site, under the tab privacy or in our secure trans site, under the tab privacy".....

That's how we handle our notifications. Keep in mind that if you're posting the notice on your website and directing the customer to the site to retrieve it, the notice needs to be made available for 90 days. Of course, Andy's above mentioned "post it, keep it there, keep it current", suggestion is the easiest and most efficient way to ensure compliance with the availability requirements.

Return to Top
#1096149 - 12/11/08 11:39 PM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice JacF
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
JAc, are you saying you keep the Privacy Notice up for 90 days? The reg says "continuously."

Return to Top
#1096525 - 12/12/08 05:56 PM Re: e-delivery of annual privacy notice Andy_Z
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Then I may have gotten my wires crossed with a different requirement.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z