Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1098993 - 12/17/08 08:47 PM Appraiser contracting out appraisals
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
We requested an appraisal for a commercial loan from an appraiser on our 'list' [A]. He contracted it out, without our approval or prior knowledge. That company [B] addressed the appraisal to us/our personnel as if we had requested it directly from them.
We paid Appraiser [A] and put his name on the settlement statement. He then paid Appraiser [B].
Can Appraiser [A] do that? Do we need Appraiser [A]'s request/contract to Appraiser [B] to complete the paper trail?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1099201 - 12/18/08 12:18 AM Re: Appraiser contracting out appraisals FloBear
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think they violated several section of the USPAP Ethics rule. I would pull him from your approved list and have a discussion with your State's appraisal licensing board.

Return to Top
#1099234 - 12/18/08 04:08 AM Re: Appraiser contracting out appraisals rlcarey
Ray_ Offline
Platinum Poster
Dallas, TX
That sounds very odd indeed.

Return to Top
#1099239 - 12/18/08 04:20 AM Re: Appraiser contracting out appraisals Ray_
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
One last question - you said "We requested an appraisal for a commercial loan from an appraiser".

I take it you mean you had a signed engagement letter with this appraiser??

Return to Top
#1099391 - 12/18/08 03:20 PM Re: Appraiser contracting out appraisals rlcarey
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Yes, we had a signed engagement letter with Appraiser [A]

I found, according to the USPAP, we could have an agreement with an appraisal management type company to act as our authorized agent and then appraiser [B] could have listed us as the client and been paid through appraiser [A]. We have no such agreement with appraiser [A].

Thanks for the input. Compliance is like Motherhood, always cleaning up after someone!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z