BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#110252 - 08/27/03 03:16 PM Imaged Checks
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We have an association that has requested we send a letter guaranteeing that imaged checks will hold up in court. While I know this to be a fact, I'd like to see something in writing stating this. Does anyone have any links I could view?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#110253 - 08/28/03 03:26 AM Re: Imaged Checks
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I have read horror stories where some judges would not accept them, while most will. I don't know if these are urban legends or recent fact.

I would refer you to the Federal Rules of Evidence, Article X, Rule 1003 Admissibility of Duplicates states: A duplicate is admissible to the same extent as an original unless (1) a genuine question is raised as to the authenticity of the original or (2) in the circumstances it would be unfair to admit the duplicate in lieu of the original.

There may be variances with state courts.

IRS procedures allow taxpayers to establish proof of payment with an account statement prepared by a bank in electronic form as long as it shows the check number, amount, date and name of payee. (No cite here, sorry.)
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#110254 - 08/28/03 11:16 AM Re: Imaged Checks
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thanks for your help!

Return to Top
#110255 - 08/28/03 01:26 PM Re: Imaged Checks
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
It is part of state law in AL, GA, and FL that imaged or electronically stored checks are as good as the original. If you need the cite from one of these states - PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett