Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1104720 - 01/02/09 03:54 PM Provisional Credit - Obama Coins
Libby M. Offline
Platinum Poster
Mississippi, USA
Customer had a charge from the New England Mint Company for Obama Quarter(s) that she said she didn’t order. We called the company and the representative said that all the customer has to do is return the merchandise and they would refund her. We think that she needs to return the coins when she receives them and keep a certified mail receipt as proof that she sent them back and that the company received them. Then she should expect a refund. In this case, should we give the customer provisional credit or wait to see if she gets refunded from the company?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1105250 - 01/05/09 02:56 AM Re: Provisional Credit - Obama Coins Libby M.
Needs To Know Offline
Needs To Know
Someplace Warm
Did not order? Sounds unauthorized to me. Furthermore, the last time I checked, unsolicited merchandise sent via USPS and possibly other methods does not need to be returned. I would say the proof is on the merchants shipping the goods and if they want them back, they should send her a prepaid return shipping label!

Return to Top
#1105775 - 01/06/09 03:54 AM Re: Provisional Credit - Obama Coins Needs To Know
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Diane is on the right track.

If I am sent something I didn't order, I have no obligation to take my time and/or expense to return it. I didn't authorize the charge, Mr. Banker, and I want my money back in my account.

Now it is up to you to determine not if they like the quarters, but if they in fact ordered them and authorized the charge. That is your case at hand. Was the charge authorized or not?

Telling them to return them and ask for a refund doesn't fulfill your Reg E obligation.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z