Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1119251 - 01/29/09 06:28 PM APR? About to close!
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
A loan officer just called on his way to a closing. He looked at the HUD and saw that the realtor has added 2 fees: a "doc prep fee" and an fee to store the transaction file electronically. The realtor says this was in an addendum to the realtor's contract. Should these fees go in the APR?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1119262 - 01/29/09 06:44 PM Re: APR? About to close! Sage
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Doc prep fees are exempt if bona fide and reasonable.

The other fee you are talking about it nothing but a junk fee by the Realtor. We have a Realtor here CENTURY 21 that charges the same fee. We do not treat the fee as a finance charge because they charge the "document storage" fee regardless if the buyer is financing or paying cash.

Return to Top
#1119273 - 01/29/09 06:54 PM Re: APR? About to close! Dan Persfull
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
Am I way off: I do not think $100 is reasonable to prepare the sales contract. It is a preprinted form! But I may be out of touch- people today pay for water and over $3 for coffee ...

Return to Top
#1119287 - 01/29/09 07:05 PM Re: APR? About to close! Sage
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
What would be bona fide would be the cost associated with preparing the documents and what would be reasonable would be the "going" rate in your market area.

If they charge the fee to prepare the sales contract for both a cash sales and a financing sale then it could be exempted under the comparable cash transaction exemption.

Return to Top
#1119881 - 01/30/09 03:12 PM Re: APR? About to close! Dan Persfull
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
Here's what happened: the realtor waived these fees when we told her we would have to postpone the closing to update the documents.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z