Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1122149 - 02/03/09 09:14 PM ACH Stop Payment
Golfer9 Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
I am slightly confused on Stop Pays onan ACH item. I understand when to place a stop pay and when to get a WSUPP signed to discontinue debits, but how long does a stop pay last on an ACH? In the ACH rules book it says: "A stop pay order will remian in effect (1) for 6 months (2) until payment of the debit entry has been stopped, or (3) until the Receiver withdraws the stop pay order, whichever occurs ealiest." However, in a Q&A on Bankers Online and answer to this question, says: Stop pays covered by Reg E do not expire, that the stop pay applies to a speicified payment no matter how many times the Originator may try to collect the payment. the conflict appears to have to do with "until the payment of the debit entry has been stopped. Is there a conflict between Reg E and MPX ACH Rules? and if so, does Reg prevail? And if so, when would the MPX rule ever apply?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1122355 - 02/04/09 03:08 AM Re: ACH Stop Payment Golfer9
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Regulation E does conflict with ACH rules on stop payment rights. In some ways, ACH rules are more protective (the types of EFTs that have stop rights under Reg E is very limited; all EFT debits can be stopped under ACH rules). But Reg E is more protective of a consumer with regard to the termination of the stop order. Regulation E has no termination provision at all. So, Reg E trumps the portion of ACH rules Section 8.4 that provides for termination of a stop order when the payment has been stopped, but only with respect to recurring transfers authorized by a consumer with a single standing order ("preauthorized electronic fund transfers from an account," in Reg. E-speak).

The ACH rule prevails for other transfers from consumer accounts.

Ironically, the ACH rule (at 8.5) covering stops on non-consumer accounts only includes the 6-month expiration rule (probably ported from the UCC rule on check stops). For some reason, NACHA isn't consistent between two adjacent sections of its rules.

The reason for the "until stopped" provision in the consumer stops rule is probably the NACHA prohibition against reinitiation of a stopped entry. One wonders whether that prohibition is honored more in observance or in non-observance. I can only suggest that if an Originator reinitiates a stopped debit against a consumer's account and the RDFI lets it through based on the NACHA rule at 8.4, the Originator could be accused of a rules violation, but the RDFI could be cited for a Reg E violation. I know which side of that discussion I'd want to be on.

Two last thoughts: You aren't likely to get into trouble by conforming to the Reg E standard for all stops on ACHs. Leaving them on forever is probably overkill, but leaving them all on for six months makes sense to me. Having one standard for stop expirations is easier than managing two or more rules.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1122509 - 02/04/09 02:57 PM Re: ACH Stop Payment Golfer9
Golfer9 Offline
100 Club
Oklahoma
Thank you so very much for your explanation; it was extremely helpful!!!!

Return to Top
#1135871 - 02/25/09 07:02 PM Re: terminating a Stop Payment after one presentmt John Burnett
Audit_Viking Offline
MN
Originally Posted By: John Burnett
Regulation E does conflict with ACH rules on stop payment rights. In some ways, ACH rules are more protective (the types of EFTs that have stop rights under Reg E is very limited; all EFT debits can be stopped under ACH rules). But Reg E is more protective of a consumer with regard to the termination of the stop order. Regulation E has no termination provision at all. So, Reg E trumps the portion of ACH rules Section 8.4 that provides for termination of a stop order when the payment has been stopped, but only with respect to recurring transfers authorized by a consumer with a single standing order ("preauthorized electronic fund transfers from an account," in Reg. E-speak).

The ACH rule prevails for other transfers from consumer accounts.

Ironically, the ACH rule (at 8.5) covering stops on non-consumer accounts only includes the 6-month expiration rule (probably ported from the UCC rule on check stops). For some reason, NACHA isn't consistent between two adjacent sections of its rules.

The reason for the "until stopped" provision in the consumer stops rule is probably the NACHA prohibition against reinitiation of a stopped entry. One wonders whether that prohibition is honored more in observance or in non-observance. I can only suggest that if an Originator reinitiates a stopped debit against a consumer's account and the RDFI lets it through based on the NACHA rule at 8.4, the Originator could be accused of a rules violation, but the RDFI could be cited for a Reg E violation. I know which side of that discussion I'd want to be on.

Two last thoughts: You aren't likely to get into trouble by conforming to the Reg E standard for all stops on ACHs. Leaving them on forever is probably overkill, but leaving them all on for six months makes sense to me. Having one standard for stop expirations is easier than managing two or more rules.

John, I have this exact concern at my Bank...(per your first paragraph). Deposit Operations personnel are only "stopping" converted-check ACHs or actual checks for one presentment. I'm suggesting that any StopPay on a check (or item-based debit) utilizes the check # as verification and is "stopped" as many times as it is presented during the 6-month StopPay period. Doesn't that seem a better defensible course of action?

If this truly is a matter of would you rather violate ACH rule or Reg E, I'm with you.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1136212 - 02/26/09 07:38 AM Re: terminating a Stop Payment after one presentmt Audit_Viking
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
This isn't a Reg E issue, because Reg E doesn't provide for stops on these types of payments. It is a UCC issue, because the stop is still effective on the underlying paper check, and that check is the purported authority for the conversion entry.

Paying a reinitiated item if the stop payment is still legally effective could result in a damage claim from your customer (for not paying other items that would have been paid).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z