Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1138368 - 03/02/09 05:59 PM Craigslist negative posts?
this is it Offline
We just discovered that there are a bunch of posts on craigslist (rants and raves section) that say our bank is being taken over by the FDIC (definitely not true). Fortunately, there are more posts countering this claim. I am monitoring the posts, but so far not doing anything in an official capacity. Has anyone else ever dealt with this? Do you think I could get craigslist to remove the posts?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1141825 - 03/06/09 08:14 PM Re: Craigslist negative posts? this is it
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
What is Craigslist?

Return to Top
#1141879 - 03/06/09 08:52 PM Re: Craigslist negative posts? SouthernComfort
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It is commonly known as a site that allows people to buy and sell items and services. It is more restricted to localized areas, from what I've seen. I haven't used it. Right now it is in the news because they're being sued by a sheriff because of the adult ads. As I've read, advertisements for "a good time" are not uncommon. On the news I heard they posted an ad that a 14 year old wanted sex, and craigslist refused to take it down. It was a set up by the sheriff to demonstrate that what they're doing isn't acceptable, at least for that area.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=101627
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1141968 - 03/06/09 10:05 PM Re: Craigslist negative posts? Andy_Z
this is it Offline
Fortunately, the posts have died out. However, I would recommend that you visit your local craigslist site... click on rants and raves ... and then search for your bank name (including possible misspellings)... you might be surprised what is posted on there (in addition to the aforementioned opportunities)

Return to Top
#1141972 - 03/06/09 10:08 PM Re: Craigslist negative posts? this is it
this is it Offline
Also - I reviewed the terms of use for craigslist and it is against the agreement to post anything that is defamatory or libelous. However, short of taking them to court, all you can do is flag the post as being "prohibited" and hope a moderator somewhere will remove the posts.

Return to Top
#1142086 - 03/07/09 04:35 PM Re: Craigslist negative posts? this is it
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Sometimes drawing attention by complaining has the opposite effect you want. People flock to read what it is you don't like. So I would be cautious. Asking a mod to remove a post is one thing, a legal case is another.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z