Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1142195 - 03/09/09 05:15 PM Flood Insurance Rigid Wall
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
Is there an definition for a "rigid wall" as it refers to required flood insurance. I have an agent stating that a structure is uninsurable because "the walls are not rigid and determined to be “skin” (the building is steel beams with aluminum sheets, no inner wall, therefore not a rigid wall" It sure would be helpful to know what FEMA means when it says the walls must be rigid.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1142227 - 03/09/09 05:40 PM Re: Flood Insurance Rigid Wall lblu
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless they are made to breakaway, I'm not sure how he is making that determination. Many commercial warehouses, etc. are steel beam constuction and I have never heard of such an argument. Your customer should try another agent.

Return to Top
#1142231 - 03/09/09 05:42 PM Re: Flood Insurance Rigid Wall rlcarey
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I haven't heard that argument either. I have had farm buildings that are 3 sided metal on wood or metal frame and they were insurable.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1142245 - 03/09/09 05:54 PM Re: Flood Insurance Rigid Wall lblu
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
the building is steel beams with aluminum sheets, no inner wall, therefore not a rigid wall"

www.fema.gov/pdf/nfip/prodmanual200510/03gr.pdf

III. BUILDING PROPERTY ELIGIBILITY
A. Eligible Buildings
Insurance may be written only on a structure with two or more outside rigid walls and a fully secured roof that is affixed to a permanent site. Buildings must resist flotation, collapse, and lateral movement.

Aluminum sheets when properly affixed to a frame is a rather rigid material.

If the agent still refuses to insure the building then I would suggest getting an opinion from FEMA.

Return to Top
#1142937 - 03/10/09 06:33 PM Re: Flood Insurance Rigid Wall Dan Persfull
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
Thanks everyone for your insight. I was pretty sure that the rationale that there was no rigid wall didn't hold water in this case.

It would still be nice to have a clear definition, she says with a sigh, as she continues in her delusional state envisioning a utopian Compliance World! smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z