Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1142556 - 03/10/09 03:44 AM Reg Z Confusion
ckme Offline
Gold Star
ckme
For reg z, what standard do you use for mixed commercial/consumer loans:

1. No new money, combine a home improvement loan(secured by primary residence) and a business capital loan(secured by commercial real estate. (The breakdown by dollars is 60% commercial and 40% consumer). The purpose is to consolidate to lower payment, and has both properties as collateral.
2. New money for home improvement, and the renewal of a business capital loan secured by commercial real estate. (Home improvement 10,000- renewed commerial loan $100,000)
3. New money for buying daughter a car, secured by Commercial real estate.
4. Business capital secured by personal residence.

In my opionion I would use purpose first, then dollar amounts for mixed purposes. So I know #3 is disclosable and #4 is not, but I get confused when the purpose of the new money is one way and the renewed loan is the opposite. I would make #1 non-disclosable and #2 disclosable.

Any advise? Any cheat sheets or training material?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1142560 - 03/10/09 05:46 AM Re: Reg Z Confusion ckme
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
The Commentary is your best place to start:

Section 226.3—Exempt Transactions

3(a) Business, commercial, agricultural, or organizational credit.
1. Primary purposes. A creditor must determine in each case if the transaction is primarily for an exempt purpose. If some question exists as to the primary purpose for a credit extension, the creditor is, of course, free to make the disclosures, and the fact that disclosures are made under such circumstances is not controlling on the question of whether the transaction was exempt.

2. Factors. In determining whether credit to finance an acquisition--such as securities, antiques, or art--is primarily for business or commercial purposes (as opposed to a consumer purpose), the following factors should be considered:
• The relationship of the borrower's primary occupation to the acquisition. The more closely related, the more likely it is to be business purpose.
• The degree to which the borrower will personally manage the acquisition. The more personal involvement there is, the more likely it is to be business purpose.
• The ratio of income from the acquisition to the total income of the borrower. The higher the ratio, the more likely it is to be business purpose.
• The size of the transaction. The larger the transaction, the more likely it is to be business purpose.
• The borrower's statement of purpose for the loan.

Examples of business-purpose credit include:
• A loan to expand a business, even if it is secured by the borrower's residence or personal property.
• A loan to improve a principal residence by putting in a business office.
• A business account used occasionally for consumer purposes.

Examples of consumer-purpose credit include:
• Credit extensions by a company to its employees or agents if the loans are used for personal purposes.
• A loan secured by a mechanic's tools to pay a child's tuition.
• A personal account used occasionally for business purposes.

Based on that, I would say that #1, #2, & #4 are exempt transactions and #3 is not-exempt from Reg. Z.

Transaction #2 - 91% of the money is for commercial purpose. I think it can be safely argued that the primary purpose is business.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z