Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#114825 - 09/15/03 08:40 PM Want a review, but not seem suspicous
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is going to be a strange post.
I recently moved positions in the bank, from one of operations to one of loans. I moved just before the end of the second quarter, which is when the bank employees are supposed to receive a review. Since I moved, I did not get one. Now I'm looking to leave the bank, and I think a review of the first 6 months of this year would really help my resume. I was employee of the quarter during that first 6 months of this year, and had a lot of projects that I finished, so I think it would be important because of the amount of work I did. However, I don't want management to know I'm thinking of this change. Is it possible for me to ask for a review (in retro spect), without looking like I'm leaving? I really don't even want a formal review, but would really like to hear my old boss' comments and suggestions on how I performed. Any thoughts on how I can handle this?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#114826 - 09/15/03 09:17 PM Re: Want a review, but not seem suspicous
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Since you are not looking for a formal review, stop by the to see the former supervisor sometime for a light hearted "hi, how are you" visit. Asked he/she how its going since you left. Engage them in some easy conversation about how well you liked it there, and you miss the group. Say something to the effect that you feel you gained some valuable knowledge while working with them, and hope they thought you did a good job too. When you have them at this point, say "how would rate my performance when I worked for you. Was there anything I could have done differently? I would really appreciate your thoughts on this. It just helps me understand if I am doing the right things."

Keep in mind, your supervisor will likely say you did a good job, and will avoid any area that would create a lengthy discussion. The most you will probably get out of the conversation, is "you did a good job". Don't expect anymore than this. If you get more than that, you're lucky, go write it down. It would helpful to write a script and rehearse it a few times to make sure you are comfortable in approaching the supervisor.

Good luck.

Return to Top
#114827 - 09/16/03 02:36 PM Re: Want a review, but not seem suspicous
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Maybe you should just ask your boss. It may be good to keep your bank on its toes. It's like threatening to take food away from a dog, the dog does more to keep the food. You are not threatening to leave, you are just interested in the possibility of leaving and are smart with exploring the possibilities. Good luck.

Return to Top
#114828 - 09/17/03 09:32 PM Re: Want a review, but not seem suspicous
Gayla Sherry Offline

100 Club
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Your post isn't strange at all - believe me, we've seen much stranger ones!

I think the previous suggestions are good, but if you are uncomfortable approaching your previous boss, can you document the accomplishment in other ways? For instance, can you provide details about why you were employee of the quarter, and provide examples of the types of outstanding work you completed on projects?
HR Consulting and Compliance; Training, Conflict Resolution, Internal Investigations, Expert Witness

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry