Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#115371 - 09/17/03 07:18 PM Resumes/Applications policies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does everyone out there have formal policies regarding the acceptance of job applications and resumes? Just read an article from RSM McGladrey, Inc. in which they talk about the handling of applications and resumes, and how EEOC regulations require that all such items be kept on file for at least one year from the date of submission. I'm wondering if other banks have formal policies concerning this matter, and whether you require all applicants to follow a formal, written application process...??? Any help is appreciated.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#115372 - 09/17/03 07:42 PM Re: Resumes/Applications policies
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Go to the Human Resource discussion on 4/13/03 on this topic. It should answer your question. Sorry, I couldn't figure out the link to automatically get you there.

Return to Top
#115373 - 09/17/03 07:45 PM Re: Resumes/Applications policies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Click here to access the thread referred to above.

Return to Top
#115374 - 09/17/03 07:57 PM Re: Resumes/Applications policies
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Thanks Anon. I was trying to get 6 AAP's out and had a senior moment.

Return to Top
#115375 - 09/17/03 09:27 PM Re: Resumes/Applications policies
Gayla Sherry Offline

100 Club
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
There are a couple of considerations regarding resumes and applications, and both are relevant for Affirmative Action/applicant tracking purposes as well as sound hiring practices.

As a general rule, I suggest that you accept resumes and/or applications for only those positions which are open. By doing so, you can consider those applicants for applicant tracking purposes related to your Affirmative Action reporting. It makes for a more efficient method for these tracking purposes, and it's only these that you need to keep on file for EEOC compliance.

Secondly, I recommend that you always have an applicant complete an employment application, even with submitting a resume. There are several reasons for this practice: 1) if this is a serious candidate, an interviewer can compare the information on both documents, and often uncover good areas of questioning, such as gaps in employment, etc.; 2) the application provides some "contractual" authority for you to check credit, criminal records, etc. and often has some legal terminology related to employment at will, etc. These contractual agreements are not on resumes, of course, so by having a signed app on file, you have the applicant and potential new employee's agreement.

HR Consulting and Compliance; Training, Conflict Resolution, Internal Investigations, Expert Witness

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry