Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1156636 - 04/02/09 05:24 PM SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet?
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
We have a company that moved a huge amount of money from their LOC to their checking account for one day, then moved it back into the LOC the very next day. It happened on March 31st. I was informed that this is a fairly common practice among such companies (equipment contractors) and is done to improve the asset profile of the company in order to obtain a higher bond rating (or something like that). I consider that this is SARable activity, since this company will likely use this false report to get future contracts in the bidding process, probably with the state government.

Should I file a SAR on this type of activity?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1156647 - 04/02/09 05:30 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? YosemiteSamIAm
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Since when is an accounting trick illegal? Unless you know that they inflated their cash balance and didn't inflate their liabilities, what net impact does it have on their balance sheet?

Return to Top
#1156670 - 04/02/09 05:40 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? rlcarey
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I remember - years ago mind you - of contracts doing that when I was working at a different bank. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now.

Return to Top
#1157837 - 04/03/09 10:00 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? rlcarey
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Since when is an accounting trick illegal? Unless you know that they inflated their cash balance and didn't inflate their liabilities, what net impact does it have on their balance sheet?

Since...Enron?

Return to Top
#1157874 - 04/03/09 11:03 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? YosemiteSamIAm
smash Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Randy's point is basic accounting: assets must equal liabilities. If you inflate the assets, you must also inflaet the liabilities. Otherwise the balance sheet is not so in balance.

Return to Top
#1157947 - 04/04/09 06:33 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? smash
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Actually, Randy's point is that if the company reported increased cash (asset) and a corresponding liability (the loan), then the company's equity hasn't changed; the assets minus the liabilities equals the equity.

The line of credit isn't anything on the company's balance sheet until it's used. By activating it, taking out cash, they actually get to show their ability to borrow money by showing a liability. At the same time they show increased liquid assets, the cash, as the ability to cover its borrowing. An outside party can calculate their debt coverage ratio. If they keep an untapped LOC, that's all invisible to an outside review.

Why would that be SAR-able?

Return to Top
#1157955 - 04/04/09 07:30 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? Hrothgar Geiger
KYCspcialsts.com Offline
It is also helpful to know what they are trying to do with this in the long run. Are they applying for a loan? Are they being audited? Is it for a new contract opportunity? I would SAR, it depending on what they are trying to do.

Return to Top
#1157959 - 04/04/09 07:52 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? KYCspcialsts.com
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
That's certainly your prerogative. I just haven't heard anything in this so far that makes me think a SAR is warranted.

Return to Top
#1158097 - 04/06/09 02:12 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? Hrothgar Geiger
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Apparantly this is an accounting "trick" that has the effect of showing more liquidity than is actually there. Yes, I understand they should be showing a corresponding liability on the other side but, if they did so, what does the one day movement of cash get them? What about the timing (last day of the first quarter)? The activity appears (to me) to be suspicious. Several people in accounting and lending have acknowledged that this is a fairly common practice among firms in the construction industry. There must be a reason and, if it is not to make use of the funds they moved, then, what is it? BTW, we are talking millions being moved.

Return to Top
#1158191 - 04/06/09 03:20 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? YosemiteSamIAm
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
There's no substitute for asking for an explanation, but among the possible explanations is that they may have to show a certain amount or ratio of liquidity to their bonding company. I don't know for certain, you should ask.

There is another industry where companies routinely borrow millions of dollars overnight just to satisfy a statutory account balance requirement. It's called banking.

Return to Top
#1158278 - 04/06/09 04:35 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? Hrothgar Geiger
smash Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Originally Posted By: Hrothgar Gieger
Actually, Randy's point is that if the company reported increased cash (asset) and a corresponding liability (the loan), then the company's equity hasn't changed; the assets minus the liabilities equals the equity.

The line of credit isn't anything on the company's balance sheet until it's used. By activating it, taking out cash, they actually get to show their ability to borrow money by showing a liability. At the same time they show increased liquid assets, the cash, as the ability to cover its borrowing. An outside party can calculate their debt coverage ratio. If they keep an untapped LOC, that's all invisible to an outside review.

Why would that be SAR-able?

That was my point. Thanks for making it sound a whole lot more intelligent!!

Return to Top
#1158282 - 04/06/09 04:37 PM Re: SAR for Inflating Balance Sheet? smash
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
i know, it was what you meant to say. you were just pressed for time...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z