Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1152753 - 03/27/09 02:46 PM old computers
michaelj Offline
New Poster
Does anyone know where there is information on what needs to be done with old computers that are no longer being used. Specifically guidance on disposing of them or donating etc.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1152819 - 03/27/09 03:16 PM Re: old computers michaelj
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Either wipe the drive, very, very good, or remove and destroy the drives. It actually takes some work either way. Wipe the drives if you have a taker who can use them. Destroy the drives (I drill holes and use a sledgehammer) if you're recycling the rest. You want a recycle program as there are things in those boards and monitors that shouldn't be in a landfill. Local office supply stores can usually guide you on a recycle program as can the web. HP and Dell are both big in this, as I recall.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1153473 - 03/29/09 09:54 PM Re: old computers michaelj
Russ Horn Offline
100 Club
Russ Horn
You can find some information in the FFIEC IT Examination Handbook, Information Security Booklet (July 2006) under Data Security, Disposal (pg. 74 & 75). Below is a link:

FFIEC IT Examination Handbook, Information Security Booklet

Return to Top
#1153904 - 03/30/09 06:08 PM Re: old computers Russ Horn
Susan Orr Offline
New Poster
Illinois
Depending on where you are located there may be a company that specializes in this area that will take the equipment, clean the drive, and destroy it. They will also give you a certificate to verify this was done.

If you want to donate the equipment, you need to remove the hard drive and destroy it if you aren't going to recycle in the institution. Examiners typically frown on cleaning the drive and then donating it.

Return to Top
#1158023 - 04/06/09 12:15 PM Re: old computers Susan Orr
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Your own bank's Information Security Program may also have some information on what your institution specifically requires.

Return to Top
#1159428 - 04/07/09 09:33 PM Re: old computers michaelj
ITGuy Offline
Gold Star
Alabama
Our shred company disposes of our old computers. They pull out the hard drives and shred them, then send the remaining components to a recycling company. The shred company provides a certificate of destruction on the drives. Whenever possible, we delete all data and format the drive before the shred company gets it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z