Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1160175 - 04/08/09 07:51 PM Reg E Internet gambling dispute
PAMABT Offline
New Poster
We have a customer who has filed disputes on ten debit card transactions by online gambling websites. She admits going to and registering on a poker website (we have cancelled her debit card), but claims she did not authorize all of the charges from the other website. We have the clause in our debit card agreement that states the customer will not use the card for illegal activities, can we deny the disputes based on the fact that she went to gambling websites and registered her information?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1161054 - 04/09/09 08:08 PM Re: Reg E Internet gambling dispute PAMABT
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
No. You have to determine whether or not she authorized the transactions. If she didn't, you have to follow 205.6 to determine her liability for the transactions. If she did, you deny the claim.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1161178 - 04/09/09 10:19 PM Re: Reg E Internet gambling dispute John Burnett
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I hope canceled means not reissued.

And while she violated the terms of her agreement (based on your comments) with you, that doesn't remove her Reg E rights, as John noted. (John is looking younger and younger, BTW.)

If this was allowed, some bank would throw in some legalese that could disqualify every claim ever made.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1162110 - 04/11/09 01:43 PM Re: Reg E Internet gambling dispute Andy_Z
Cascel Offline
New Poster
We have the same situation this week - we can tell from the customer's statement that she clearly entered her bank info in the online gaming site (she says as much in the statement) but she insists in the statement that putting in her banking information gave her "free credits" and the site was free.

Yet now she's saying the charge is unauthorized - it's frustrating because she clearly says she put her bank information in the website.

I was hoping to find a way to deny her claim, but I guess we're going to have to file the dispute and cross our fingers.

Return to Top
#1162143 - 04/12/09 04:57 PM Re: Reg E Internet gambling dispute Cascel
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You should look at that site and read the terms. Often it is free, and we'll ship you this unless you cancel by X date, or the item is free, with shipping and handling.

The problem is that consumers don't need a license to use a debit card. Why do they think they're being asked for their bank account info? Why do they think free means a company just wants to lose money sending them stuff?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z