Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1168464 - 04/22/09 09:33 PM Matricula Consular Card vs. Cedular Card
sprice Offline
New Poster
At the BSA Seminar in Tulsa Ken mentioned that if a person had a cedular card then they would have a passport. Is it the same for a Matricula Consular Card? What is the difference between the two?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1168527 - 04/23/09 12:33 AM Re: Matricula Consular Card vs. Cedular Card sprice
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
From BOL Ask A Guru:

Can anyone tell me what a "cedular card" is?
by Andy Zavoina and Ken Golliher, BOL Gurus

Question: Can anyone tell me what a "cedular card" is?

Answer by Andy Zavoina:
BIO AND CONTACT INFO

A cedular card is the term used for a personal identification card issued by foreign governments, particularly in Latin America and Spain, to citizens above a certain age (not issued to minors) and within certain categories (excluding certain classifications of citizens, e.g., military).

See FIL Question 10

Answer by Ken Golliher:
BIO AND CONTACT INFO

Agreed. The cedular card been on the "acceptable identification" list for a CTR for some time. Attendees at the programs I do in Miami are familiar with them, but once you get as far north as Orlando a mention of the cedular card generates some pretty confused looks.

Unless you live in a part of the country where they are common, how would you know whether it was valid? Anyone in the U.S. who has a cedular card had to have a passport to get here. My suggestion is to insist on that instead.

Return to Top
#1168528 - 04/23/09 12:33 AM Re: Matricula Consular Card vs. Cedular Card MagicCity
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
A Matricular Consul card is an ID issued by Mexico.

Return to Top
#1169539 - 04/24/09 11:32 AM Re: Matricula Consular Card vs. Cedular Card sprice
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
A number of central and south American countries have followed Mexico's lead in issuing matricula cards; e.g. Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Peru.

I've heard regulators for each agency say it would be acceptable as identification, but none of them have put that in writing and I doubt that they ever will. It would cause a political firestorm with a couple of Congressmen.

A person with a cedular card (described by Andy above) who is in the U.S. would be expected to have a passport. A person with a matricula card generally does not have anything else.

Return to Top
#1169680 - 04/24/09 02:18 PM Re: Matricula Consular Card vs. Cedular Card Elwood P. Dowd
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
A cedular card is issued by the foreign government to an individual who was still in his home country at the time of issuance. A matricula consular card is issued by the foreign government's consular offices in the U.S.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z