Fair Labor Standards Act

Return to Top
#117944 - 10/07/03 07:39 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Quote:

Do you get more vacation as your service increases? I won't take a job with less than 4 weeks. I'm not going backwards.

Unfortunantely, most employers don't have a 4 week vacation policy after one year of employment, and won't waive on this policy. It would not be fair to other employees. I am sure that would not be the only issue of consideration in making a change, but don't count on it as being a realistic possibility. I work with banks of all sizes and that is the rule.

Return to Top
#117945 - 10/07/03 09:54 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
[quote Do you get more vacation as your service increases? I won't take a job with less than 4 weeks. I'm not going backwards.

Fortunately for me, it is standard in the Northeast US for VPs and above at most banks to start with 4 weeks vacation. And that's where I am (the northeast). So, I guess I will stay here! I have changed jobs a number of times and the only time it was up for discussion was a company that was forming a bank. That wasn't their norm but they ended up doing that for the bank staff VPs and over so they could induce people to come. They weren't competitive.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#117946 - 10/08/03 02:00 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Anonymous
Unregistered

My bank has PTO also, and I think it's the greatest idea someone ever thought up. You start out with a "bank" of 20 hrs of PTO and then you earn so many hours per two-week pay period as follows (up to the maximum number of hours which is the last column). The only complaint around here seems to be that 5 hours per pay period isn't much for the first 5 years, but, shoot, it's still over 3 weeks worth of time off.
Up to 4th anniversary 5.0 256
4th up to 9th anniversary 6.5 336
9th up to 14th anniversary 8.0 416
14th up to 15th anniversary 9.6 496
15th up to 19th anniversary 8.0 416
19th up to 20th anniversary 9.6 496
20th up to 24th anniversary 8.0 416
24th and after 9.6 496

Return to Top
#117947 - 10/08/03 04:36 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
10 sick, 2 personal, birthday, holidays & 2 or more vacation days, depending on time of service.

Return to Top
#117948 - 10/14/03 02:30 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Gayla Sherry Offline

100 Club
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I'm glad to see that you are looking at these allowances, as solid paid-time-off policies can certainly be a recruiting and retention strategy. With today's workforce focused on personal time as a priority, these issues can be deal-breakers when dealing with the employee relations issues.

My suggestion is that you decide how you want to compete for employees, and adjust your policies accordingly. If you want to provide the "Cadillac" compensation and benefits package, then you want to offer leave that is better than your competing hiring companies in your market.
HR Consulting and Compliance; Training, Conflict Resolution, Internal Investigations, Expert Witness

Return to Top
#117949 - 11/07/03 10:44 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are currently looking at revising our vacation time. We are thinking about going to accruing vacation based on number of hours worked. Do any of you do this?

Currently if you are full-time (anything over 30 hours a week), you get 2 weeks of vacation (80 hours) after 1 year. However, some of our full-time employees don't work 40 hours a week. They work only 32 hours a week or up to 38 hours a week but they are getting 80 hours of vacation. Just wondering how others handle this?

Return to Top
#117950 - 11/08/03 12:34 AM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Anonymous
Unregistered

For part timers, the vacation time earned is a pro-rata share of what a full timer would earn. For example, if the average number of hours worked per week is 30 hours, the employee gets 3/4 of the time a full timer with similar length of service would get. We do this for sick hours too.

Return to Top
#117951 - 11/13/03 03:31 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
It is FLSA: Fair Labor Standards Act

Return to Top
#117952 - 11/13/03 07:26 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where I work this is how vacation/sick/personal work:

Fulltime and partime employees earn at the same rate of accrual. Each vacation day is equivalent to a regular work day. For example, if a parttime employees regular work week consists of four five-hour days, their vacation week will also be based on four five-hour days.
7-48 months you would get 2 weeks
5-14 years you would get 3 weeks
15-24 years you would get 4 weeks
Senior VP- Automatically get 5 weeks vacation
President gets 6 weeks.

Sick and Personal Leave-
All full-time employees are eligible for sick and/or personal leave. Sick leave is accrued on the basis of one-half day for each full month worked. On the 1st anniversary of the employees employment, employees earn 3 personal days. Additional personal days are earned on each anniversary. Sick and personal roll over each year it is unused.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry