Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#11821 - 02/15/02 03:44 PM Vacation Requirements
wwmike Offline
wwmike
walla walla, wa, usa
We require most employees to take at least 5 consecutive business days of vacation during the year. We also require that a few lucky individuals in higher risk positions or positions with greater authority and greater loss potential take 2 weeks or 10 consecutive business days. We have recently begun blocking remote e-mail access for people on vacation. Is anyone out there also blocking e-mail access? Is it worth it? I would appreciate any input or comments on this and any alternate approaches you've implemented to maintain internal controls, but not go too far.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#11822 - 03/12/02 02:02 PM Re: Vacation Requirements
Anonymous
Unregistered

Always a fun topic. I am biased on this. If you require higher risk positions to take longer vacations (10 consecutive days) and block email access, what is the impact to their workload when they return. I receive about 45 to 65 email daily. This would knock me out of commission for an additional week. If you have concern about an individual, then you have a right/obligation to monitor their activity. I guess I look at it as all positions have the opportunity to commit fraud. I can't think of an area that has never had fraud in it. From the mail room, courriers, proof, tellers, telephone customer service, reconciliation, lending, credit card area, mid and senior management, even fraud detection groups. Internal fraud is just as bad (if not worse) then external fraud. I believe there are better disciplines that could be in place.

Return to Top
#11823 - 03/12/02 06:24 PM Re: Vacation Requirements
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
Rather than block email access during vacations, etc., we allow employees to have continuous email access but we have also allowed supervisors to have access to their employees' email. This is not done on a regular basis (who has time to read their own email let alone someone else's!). But it has been helpful in suspicious situations and has been used in several situations already. And since all employees know this type of review can happen it has helped control some non-business activity as well as potentially fraudulent employee activity.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z