Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1193076 - 05/29/09 08:11 PM comma delimted file
Bballfanofhld Offline
Bballfanofhld
Texas
I have a software provider that will only allow Payee Name alphanumeric maximum of 30 .
Is this a standard. Forgive me I am not too technical and wanted to ask the experts.
Pam

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1193314 - 05/29/09 11:23 PM Re: comma delimted file Bballfanofhld
Nicholas Offline
MA
Unfortunately, the answer is: it depends. The length and type of data allowed in a database depends on many factors. The type and length of the field you describe is designed into that particular software vendor's application and database, it may or may not match your core banking platform, your loan platform, or any other data source you happen to use.

You mention "comma delimited file", in general the length of the data fields in a delimited file are variable; i.e. there isn't a set maximum field size. However, most database applications don't natively store data in a delimited file format so field length restrictions typically still apply.

Some important questions to get answers to: how will this provider's field length limits affect your data? are there other field limits that you don't know about yet? how will they map to other data sources you currently use? are there any possible security/privacy issues with truncating the data? will truncation affect any calculations based on the data?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z