Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1195123 - 06/03/09 03:28 PM Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem?
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
We have a customer who received an ACH debit to his account from XYZ Inc. The customer has disputed the transaction and completed a WSUPP. We returned the ACH as unauthorized. The ODFI has contacted XYZ Inc. and a representative from the company has called and informed us that they have a written authorization for the transaction and can fax it to us so they can get thier money. Does the bank need to get involved here or can we just tell XYZ Inc. that they need to contact our customer directly. Do we need to settle this within the ACH network or can it now be handled outside?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1195160 - 06/03/09 04:11 PM Re: Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem? AuditorK
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
We are being pressured by XYZ Inc. to provide them with the funds. They want to fax us the customer's authorization, ID, etc. to show the ACH was valid. Can we simply respond that we have a WSUPP from our customer and we can provide it to XYZ Inc. and then they'll have to pursue this with the customer (outside of the ACH network)? I'm not sure how to handle this.

Return to Top
#1195167 - 06/03/09 04:21 PM Re: Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem? AuditorK
CUgirl Offline
Gold Star
South Mississippi
From what I understand, once the WSUPP is signed and you have returned the ACH, you are out of the loop. The company needs to take it up with your customer. I would also suggest that the customer, sign a revocation auth, if they no longer want the transaction clearing their acount. Sounds like the company will probably try to send it back through.

Return to Top
#1195181 - 06/03/09 04:29 PM Re: Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem? CUgirl
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Thanks CUgirl. I also would think we'd be out of the loop at this point. Good point about protecting against the company trying to resend.

Return to Top
#1195197 - 06/03/09 04:43 PM Re: Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem? AuditorK
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Did you advise your client that the company can provide a written auth? Perhaps the client forgot or didn't recognize the company name on the ACH description.

Return to Top
#1195268 - 06/03/09 05:31 PM Re: Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem? BrendaC
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Yes we informed the customer that the originator can provide an authorization. He is still denying that he knows anything about the charge or XYZ Inc.

Return to Top
#1195426 - 06/03/09 07:49 PM Re: Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem? AuditorK
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Once the debit has been returned as unauthorized, NACHA rules do not permit it to be re-submitted. It must be handled directly between the Receiver and the Originator.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1195662 - 06/04/09 01:34 PM Re: Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem? John Burnett
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Can someone point me to a citation that supports this. I have the NACHA rule book, but I can't find anything. I want to have something to back our position if we keep getting pressured.

Return to Top
#1195696 - 06/04/09 01:59 PM Re: Disputed ACH - customer or bank problem? AuditorK
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Start with Operating Rules sections 2.15 and 6.1.7.

Then do a reality check. Ask yourself, "Who is my customer?" and "Do I have any contractual obligation to deal with the Originator?"

The Originator is blowing smoke. You have no need to listen to its whining. Your only obligation to the Originator is to provide a copy of the WSUPP you obtained from your customer in the event that the ODFI asks for it.
Last edited by John Burnett; 06/04/09 02:14 PM. Reason: additional info,
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z