October 8
Applicants and Applications: Knowing the Players and the Rules;
David Dickinson

October 15
MasterCard and Reg E: Basic Debit Card Investigations;
Brian Crow

Topic Options
Manage Topic
#1207959 - 06/25/09 02:55 PM Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets?
Gandalf Offline
New Poster

We are struggling with this one. We would like to have an organization sell raffle tickets in our vestibule. The FDIC regs prohibits us from selling lottery tickets. But are raffle tickets really lottery tickets? And the fact that WE are not actually selling them does in make it permissible? This is what we are trying to interpret: FDIC Reg Pertaining to Lottery Tickets

General Discussion
#1208931 - 06/26/09 04:18 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
Gandalf Offline
New Poster

Our compliance consultant replied as follows (Like you, I donít understand the basis for this regulation when the Bank is trying to serve the community, but such as it is, we have to comply):

There are really two parts to this:

∑ Are raffle tickets lottery tickets?

∑ Is the Bankís level of involvement in the process enough to come under the prohibition?

As to the first, the sale of raffle tickets have been consistently viewed by the regulatory as a lottery within the prohibition you cited.

As to the second, even though the bank will not be selling lottery tickets, it is providing space and it could be viewed as being within the ďannounce, advertise, or publicize the existenceĒ prohibition., I have never see this specific issue raised on an exam. However, I can tell you for sure, that even mentioning a non-profit organizationís raffle on a bank web site recently has raised an issue with the regulators.

#1208948 - 06/26/09 04:33 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster

Loc: Sweet Home AL
Bottom line is you CANNOT allow the sale of raffle tickets on the bank property
..."may not permit--
(1) the use of any part of any of its banking offices".

If you want to help out the organization you can contribute a savings bond or other item to be raffled.

#1208959 - 06/26/09 04:45 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
Homestar Offline
Diamond Poster

Loc: US of A
Originally Posted By: Gandalf
Like you, I donít understand the basis for this regulation when the Bank is trying to serve the community, but such as it is, we have to comply.

I think you should just realize that not everyone is as honest as you and a few bad actors spoil it for everyone.

#1209552 - 06/29/09 04:14 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Homestar]
EdieT Offline

Loc: PA
We will not allow this on bank property.
They may set up the table on the sidewalk outside the bank.

#1210466 - 06/30/09 08:32 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: EdieT]
ltackett Offline
Platinum Poster

We plan to raise money for a local organization that helps abused children. In addition to having bake sales, employees paying for "jean day", we hoped to get an item donated from a local company and sell tickets on a chance to win that item. Am I to understand that this is prohibited by the FDIC?

#1210527 - 07/01/09 08:40 AM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: ltackett]
Skittles Offline
10K Club

Loc: KY
Yes, that is a raffle and is prohibited.

#1211042 - 07/01/09 06:55 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
Richard Insley Online
Power Poster

Loc: Richmond, VA
Originally Posted By: Gandalf
Like you, I donít understand the basis for this regulation when the Bank is trying to serve the community

If memory serves, this prohibition goes back to the beginning of the FDIC. At that time, the only concern was protecting the life savings of depositors. As is still the case, some depositors would consider a lottery ticket a better "investment" than a deposit in the bank. If the same teller sells both, it encourages behavior that is contrary to the purpose of the FDI Act. Even though raffles for charities don't rob depositors of their life savings, the prohibition was written in the strongest terms possible & the edges stretch far enough to cover anything that looks or smells like a lottery.

#1211954 - 07/03/09 11:02 AM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Richard Insley]
Andy Z Online

10K Club

Loc: On the Net
http://calendar.bollearningconnect.com/main.php?view=event&eventid=1243968900993

You can call it what you want and you can say it is for a good cause, but the ends doesn't justify the means, nor does it change the definition of a lottery.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

#1213581 - 07/07/09 02:07 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Andy Z]
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster

Loc: Texas
Has an institution been sited for such participation? A lot of members of our community are NOT happy that we don't particpate in such "fundraising/community events".

#1213674 - 07/07/09 03:28 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: mck401]
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster

Loc: Sweet Home AL
Find a different way to participate, such as providing items to be raffled, auctioned, used as door prizes, etc.

#1903521 - 03/07/14 03:25 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
pacar Offline
Gold Star

Resurrecting this:

I'm looking at this definition:
(c) Definitions

As used in this section--

(1) The term "deal in" includes making, taking, buying, selling, redeeming, or collecting.

(2) The term "lottery" includes any arrangement whereby three or more persons (the "participants") advance money or credit to another in exchange for the possibility or expectation that one or more but not all of the participants (the "winners") will receive by reason of their advances more than the amounts they have advanced, the identity of the winners being determined by any means which includes--

Specifically, I'm interested in the phrase "receive by reason of their advances more than the amounts they have advanced".

I just walked through our lobby and discovered that we are selling raffle tickets for a Quilt made by a local Seniors Group. The quilt does not have any monetary value ... it's a quilt. So is the winner really receiving 'more than the amount they advanced'?

#1903523 - 03/07/14 03:26 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
Kathleen B Online

10K Club

Have you priced quilts?

#1903524 - 03/07/14 03:28 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
pacar Offline
Gold Star

smile Yes ... but I can't take the quilt to the gas station and buy a soda. smile

I don't want to be the bad-guy (again).

#1903526 - 03/07/14 03:31 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
Kathleen B Online

10K Club

I am not saying shut it down, but if I buy a ticket for $1 or $5, whatever, and I win the quilt, it is certainly worth more than what I paid. It has a value. I could sell it.

#1903528 - 03/07/14 03:35 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
pacar Offline
Gold Star

The staff is going to hate me. Ugh.

#1903546 - 03/07/14 04:17 PM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: BrendaC]
BankerAndi82 Offline
New Poster

Loc: Midwest
Brenda C
"Find a different way to participate, such as providing items to be raffled, auctioned, used as door prizes, etc."

Our bank was told this was considered participating in a lottery too unless it was done anonymously

Edited by BankerAndi82 (03/07/14 04:19 PM)

#1903639 - 03/09/14 08:22 AM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
rlcarey Offline
10K Club

Loc: Galveston, TX
Plus, who's raffles do you decide to sponsor? Local Seniors Group, PETA (People who Eat Tasty Animals) fund raiser, XYZ Motorcycle Club (raising bail money for Joe)?

#1903670 - 03/10/14 08:52 AM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: BankerAndi82]
John Burnett Offline
10K Club

Loc: Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: BankerAndi82
Brenda C
"Find a different way to participate, such as providing items to be raffled, auctioned, used as door prizes, etc."

Our bank was told this was considered participating in a lottery too unless it was done anonymously

Your bank was provided erroneous information. "Our bank was told" -- by whom, and did he or she provide any citation to a regulation or law backing up the statement?

#1903700 - 03/10/14 10:00 AM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: Gandalf]
RR Joker Offline
10K Club

Loc: The Swamp
I don't know about the anonymously part, but in Georgia door prizes are restricted:

'Raffle' means any scheme or procedure whereby one or more prizes are distributed by chance among persons who have paid or promised consideration for a chance to win such prize. Such term shall also include door prizes which are awarded to persons attending meetings or activities provided that the cost of admission to such meetings or activities does not exceed the usual cost of similar activities where such prizes are not awarded.

You will never see what's inside of me - Five Finger Death Punch

#1903756 - 03/10/14 11:43 AM Re: Can an FDIC regulated bank sell raffle tickets? [Re: John Burnett]
BankerAndi82 Offline
New Poster

Loc: Midwest
IBA and ABA told us this. ABA said that the Federal Deposit Insurance Act Section 20 is very broad and covers everything. We usually donate to a function where community eateries get together and for the price of a ticket, anyone can sample the different foods. We would donate a basket (other banks did this as well)that said it was donated by us and usually included bank promotional items, that would be part of a silent auction.

Edited by BankerAndi82 (03/10/14 11:51 AM)