Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1216192 - 07/10/09 11:09 PM Reg E.- Additional Documentation request
Kibbles Offline
New Poster
Customer was traveling and a neighbor who was housesitting used the customers Visa Debit card to purchase items on Paypal. We have his dispute in writing, have given him provisional credit, processor is investigating. Merchant has supplied proof the goods were shipped to the neighbor.Our processor is requesting that cardholder review it and provide 'additional documentation'(i.e., i do not know this person, that is not my address, etc.). Cardholder has not provided us with this additional documentation. Time is running out. We encouraged customer to get a police report since he knows this neighbor has stolen from him. (i know it is not required for reg E) but customer does not want to make any waves. Can we deny this claim if we do not get the additional docs? I know this customer did not benefit from this transaction-but can't find it specifically in Reg E. Isn't the initial claim in writing enough?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1216239 - 07/11/09 04:50 PM Re: Reg E.- Additional Documentation request Kibbles
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Don't confuse what your card processor requires and what Reg E requires. It appears that you have sufficient documentation to sustain the customer's claim and finalize the provisional credit.
You are now attempting to recover these funds for the bank. One such means is your cardholder supplying an updated letter stating that they did not benefit from the transaction. If the cardholder refuses, this does not impact their Reg E rights, but then the bank becomes the financial victim.
Even if your customer refuses to file a police report, you can inform them that the bank can and will file a police report in an attempt to recover the stolen funds from the neighbor. You may also want to consider not providing a debit card to this customer in the future since they do not wish to cooporate with the bank in this investigation.

Return to Top
#1216249 - 07/11/09 08:23 PM Re: Reg E.- Additional Documentation request BrianC
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I could not have said it better, Crowman.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1216386 - 07/13/09 03:16 PM Re: Reg E.- Additional Documentation request John Burnett
Kibbles Offline
New Poster
Thank you very much!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z