Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1228110 - 08/06/09 02:05 PM Approving ATM/Debit Card Applications
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
Does anyone still pull credit and base their decision for a customer to receive an ATM or Debit Card on their "credit" history?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1228345 - 08/06/09 04:52 PM Re: Approving ATM/Debit Card Applications Compliance Lover
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
We do. We are a small bank. We do not authorize or settle our ATM/POS transactions in Real Time, nor are our ATM/POS holds integrated with our Core Deposit platform. Instead, our transactions are verified through a Positive Balance File at our processor and cleared in a daily batch settlement. Unfortunately that means there's a window of vulnerability when the customer could make purchases or withdrawals and then pull all the money out of their account before the transactions clear.

We do not pull credit reports at account opening. Our ATM/Debit applications have a clear disclosure notifying the customer that by signing the agreement, they are authorizing us to pull a credit report.

Return to Top
#1228349 - 08/06/09 04:55 PM Re: Approving ATM/Debit Card Applications Compliance Lover
YoungAndEager Offline
100 Club
Indiana
We are also a small bank, use the same system Betsy does, but we do not pull credit history.

Return to Top
#1228383 - 08/06/09 05:06 PM Re: Approving ATM/Debit Card Applications YoungAndEager
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
Ok, thanks. I've seen small banks that don't pull credit and really push their ATM/Debit Cards even though not on real-time, and then our medium size bank does still pull credit although we're now on real-time. I just think it makes it really hard to be competitive and just because someone has poor credit doesn't mean they shouldn't have an ATM or debit card, in my opinion. I was just curious. Thanks.

Return to Top
#1228406 - 08/06/09 05:16 PM Re: Approving ATM/Debit Card Applications Compliance Lover
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
We seldom deny cards based solely on the credit report; we have other criteria in place as well. But we have more than one debit product, and one card has higher limits and a greater risk exposure. We use the report along with other criteria to decide which card product they qualify for and what limits to set on the card.

It sure helps with a brand new customer!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z