Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1233046 - 08/14/09 05:14 PM OFAC-NON CUSTOMERS
Texas53 Offline
Texas53
TEXAS
Is there any way to keep track if a teller does a OFAC check on cashing checks for non-cusotmer? I have been told that you must do an OFAC check on non-customer cashing checks. How can I prove that an OFAC check has been made other than the teller noting it on the cash ticket. Most of them forget to note it.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1233074 - 08/14/09 05:34 PM Re: OFAC-NON CUSTOMERS Texas53
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
I have been told that you must do an OFAC check on non-customer cashing checks.

That is simply incorrect. When and where your bank does OFAC checks is a function of its OFAC risk assessment.

Return to Top
#1233108 - 08/14/09 06:04 PM Re: OFAC-NON CUSTOMERS Elwood P. Dowd
nelleanor Offline
Texas,
Based on our risk assessment, we do OFAC non-customers. Currently, we do a screen print of the OFAC check done through our Core Processor and our BSA officer keeps a file of the checks.

As you can imagine this is a bit of a paper waster, so we are toying with the idea of using stamps to document the OFAC verification on the item. Something that would document the date and who completed the check. For an exam or audit, we could then go to the audit trail within our Core System to show that the check was completed.

We are still trying to determine if the new option would work, but we definitely do document and OFAC checks that we do.

-nell
Last edited by nelleanor; 08/14/09 06:43 PM.
Return to Top
#1234281 - 08/18/09 01:29 PM Re: OFAC-NON CUSTOMERS nelleanor
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Doesn't your core system give you reports that tell you when OFAC was performed?

Return to Top
#1234711 - 08/18/09 07:13 PM Re: OFAC-NON CUSTOMERS Elwood P. Dowd
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
Quote:
I have been told that you must do an OFAC check on non-customer cashing checks.

That is simply incorrect. When and where your bank does OFAC checks is a function of its OFAC risk assessment.

Ken is correct. Most, if not all, banks regard OFAC as a function of Risk. What may be acceptable for your FI, may not be acceptable at mine.

Your OFAC risk assessment should dictate how you approach each situation.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z