Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#123645 - 10/20/03 03:32 PM Sarbanes Oxley - Audit Charter
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
I am revising our audit charter. One of the stipulations under sar/ox is that all audit committee members must be independent in that they do not receive any compensation from the bank other than usual director fees. I recall reading somewhere that the lending relationship between a bank and its directors was going to be carved out as an exception to this requirement due to Reg. O. Any thoughts/information?

Return to Top
Audit
#123646 - 10/20/03 07:30 PM Re: Sarbanes Oxley - Audit Charter
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I haven't heard anything on this. Examiners are on the way in the next couple of weeks, I'll ask them.

Return to Top
#123647 - 10/20/03 09:28 PM Re: Sarbanes Oxley - Audit Charter
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Yes, a carve out was made for Banks due to Reg O already being in existence. It was felt there was no need to duplicate a restriction. Refer to Section 402 of Sarbanes. It contains the following exception, which refers to Reg O (12 USC 375 (b):

‘‘(3) RULE OF CONSTRUCTION FOR CERTAIN LOANS.—Paragraph
(1) does not apply to any loan made or maintained
by an insured depository institution (as defined in section 3
of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1813)), if
the loan is subject to the insider lending restrictions of section
22(h) of the Federal Reserve Act (12 U.S.C. 375b).’’.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#123648 - 10/21/03 02:00 AM Re: Sarbanes Oxley - Audit Charter
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I don't think there was any carve out for deposit, lending or provision of services to the bank by its outside directors. My recollection is that SOX questions the independence of someone who has a "signficant relationship with the bank" but then leaves that term undefined. We have not had to pursue this question any further since we are privately held, but as an example of "significant", the FDIC asks in its PERL for all depositors owning at least 5% of total depositors and names this list as "significant depositors". So that is how we define significant now.

Return to Top
#123649 - 10/21/03 02:04 AM Re: Sarbanes Oxley - Audit Charter
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Kaybee-

I think the carve out you refer to was so that banks did not have to comply with the outright prohibition against making loans to its directors. And that was because we already have adequate regulations governing this area (Reg O). But I don't think this refers to the definition of an independent director serving on the Audit Committee. Please let me know if you disagree since I have told our outside directors they all qualify for the Audit Committee even though they are bank customers.

Return to Top
#123650 - 10/21/03 04:44 AM Re: Sarbanes Oxley - Audit Charter
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I was only responding to this sentence which referenced the carve out for a lending relationship (and wasn't thinking about an independence relationship for an outside director).

" I recall reading somewhere that the lending relationship between a bank and its directors was going to be carved out as an exception to this requirement due to Reg. O."

A lending relationship does not preclude them from Audit Committee. Some other business dealings with the bank, such as renting a building to the bank, would preclude them.

And they are not prohibited from borrowing from the bank under the Sarbanes lending prohibition because of the bank carve out due to the pre-existence of Reg O.

Hope I cleared that up! Sorry for any confusion! Sarbanes is confusing enough on its own.

www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z