Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1239336 - 08/26/09 02:41 PM Re: Question for the Guys Retired DQ
one deer Offline
Any where but work
Have to chime in been married for 29 years and can probably count on my fingers the actual times he has shopped and bought me a gift unprompted. I did not marry him for his gift giving abilities, he knows that. It has always been a quiet joke between us, that I shop and he does not. When I come home from town he says can I see what I bought you. My daughter laughs about the time they went to Wally World on my B-day to get some stuff and he would have come home with nothing except she was there to remind him to get some flowers. His dad is the exact opposite, showers his wife with gifts and love notes.

Return to Top
#1239347 - 08/26/09 02:46 PM Re: Question for the Guys Truffle Royale
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I've read the book, it is good.

Return to Top
#1239412 - 08/26/09 03:12 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Jen
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Truffle - I'm definitely a "service" person. Gifts embarrass me somewhat, and I don't like surprises at all. The hubby and I actually have it pretty well worked out: I'm a "service" and he's a "time." Though I have some "time" tendencies and he has some "gift."

Return to Top
#1239482 - 08/26/09 03:58 PM Re: Question for the Guys Retired DQ
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Deekles
I am just curious, I sent myself some flowers, simply because I wanted some fresh flowers for my desk. When I told my fiance, he was like "why didn't you tell me? I would have sent you flowers"; I went shopping last weekend and bought 2 new suits, and when I got home he said "why didn't you tell me, I would have bought them!" And he does the same thing if I buy myself a piece of jewelry or a new watch.

I know it is awfully sweet and he is always very generous, but I work for my money and like to reward myself. I am whimsical, if I see something I like, I'll buy it, I don't think that 'this could have been a gift from him'.

So, last night he gave me a check and said, "let me buy those suits for your birthday." I don't want to take his money, then he gets all annoyed. frown

Do you guys feel the same way if your SO goes and buys things for herself?

I don't know how well I can speak for my guy, but honestly I don't think it's ever been an issue for him if I do or buy things for myself. He's always said that my independence is something he loves best about me; I'm not the type to ask much from anyone else. It used to be more of an issue that I would do or give something for him without being asked.

I probably have the same spontaneous/whimsical tendency that you do, not to wait when I see something I want. But maybe it would be helpful for your fiance when you have an idea for yourself to try dropping a hint before acting on it? I might ask him something like, "What kind of flowers should I get for my desk?" You're not asking for anything more than his opinion, but he gets an idea about what you'd like; and let him take the opportunity if he offers to pay. grin

Return to Top
#1239529 - 08/26/09 04:29 PM Re: Question for the Guys Becka Marr
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
My husband is the "take care of" type. That can be driving me somewhere, carrying my purse (yes), cooking for me, or buying/paying for something I want.

Generally, he is not the clothes, flowers, jewelry shopper, but if it is technology, he's right in there.

I had to decide that allowing him to "do" for me, in no way impacted my feminist side. I know what I can do, so it isn't an issue (well hardly ever). After 39 years, I have finally recognized that it makes him so happy to "do" for me, that I joyfully and gratefully accept it.

Return to Top
#1239550 - 08/26/09 04:44 PM Re: Question for the Guys Buccs
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: Buccs
Originally Posted By: Sox in 07
Part of it may be him not recognizing your needs/wants, then feeling bad when you buy them for yourself...maybe he thought you buying yourself flowers was a way of telling him he should have...

Winner!

Vote number 2.

Return to Top
#1239706 - 08/26/09 06:38 PM Re: Question for the Guys DD Regs
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
some of ya'll are VERY VERY lucky and I hope you know it!

As for me...

Quote:
(fixing stuff, building things, helping with the heavy chores) for me without me having to ask is much better anyway.

I really do need to hire one of these! wink But add "cook things" to the mix!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1239828 - 08/26/09 08:02 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Joker
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
After 39 years of marriage we agree that if I want flowers (or new clothes or whatever) I just go buy them myself. Not to say that he doesn't buy me gifts, he does but I don't expect him to "know what I want when I want it" most of the time. Nearly every week when I shop for groceries I pick up flowers for the house, make me feel good and that's all that matters.

Truff is right, the "language of love" differs in each of us and it takes time to read each others language. Maybe it's just cause I'm getting older than dirt but I am more independent now days. And I don't think he minds most of the time, cause I give him the freedom to do the same. Age does have it's advantages whistle

Return to Top
#1240085 - 08/27/09 01:36 PM Re: Question for the Guys corkygirl
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I picked flowers out of the garden last night! LOL! Didn't cost a thing, but pretty none the less!

Speaking of independent...oh boy..let's not even go there.

Return to Top
#1240089 - 08/27/09 01:42 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Joker
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Could be why I'm still single after all of these years - that and the fact that the men I dated all seemed to be a little/lot like my ex. Just finally gave up.

Return to Top
#1240096 - 08/27/09 01:50 PM Re: Question for the Guys Bagweaver
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
For real! Seems like so many men in So GA are chauvanestic (sp). Can be great guys, but their expectations are unrealistic in today's world!

The one exception was maybe the last one...but honestly, he was tooooooo young...but much more suited to me in a lot of other ways, more so than the older ones. AND...he was a heck of a cook and not at all hard to look at! grin
Last edited by RR joker; 08/27/09 01:51 PM.

Return to Top
#1240102 - 08/27/09 01:55 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Joker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Must resist the temptation to comment...

Return to Top
#1240110 - 08/27/09 02:01 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Jen
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
pm, if you must, JLJ. You are now making me curious...and it better not be a Mrs. Robinson joke! mad (jk)

Return to Top
#1240115 - 08/27/09 02:06 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Joker
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Doesn't necessarily have to be a Mrs. Robinson joke. Could have been a cougar joke. grin wink whistle

Return to Top
#1240127 - 08/27/09 02:15 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Becca
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
grrrrrrrrr. I REPEAT...I DID NOT HUNT OR PURSUE THAT ONE..THEREFORE I DO NOT FIT THAT CAT...EGORY! whistle

Return to Top
#1240142 - 08/27/09 02:28 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Joker
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Oh no...it was more along the lines of your alleged obsession with farriers. grin

Return to Top
#1240143 - 08/27/09 02:28 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Joker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
What the he** difference does age make??!!! As I told someone recently wink it's not like when you were a kid and you couldn't wait to be 21. People don't believe I'm as old as I am. If I were with a guy 10 years younger than me, I'd like to think I could keep up and we'd both be happy. That's what it all comes down to. I say go find that good looking, good cookin' younger guy and apologize for letting societal ideas get in the way of the relationship you were enjoying!

Return to Top
#1240148 - 08/27/09 02:35 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Jen
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: RR JLJ
Oh no...it was more along the lines of your alleged obsession with farriers. grin

Pot, meet Kettle.

laugh

Return to Top
#1240173 - 08/27/09 03:05 PM Re: Question for the Guys Truffle Royale
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Why is it bad when women are with younger men, but not when men are with younger women?

Agree about the men in S GA!

Return to Top
#1240244 - 08/27/09 04:02 PM Re: Question for the Guys Bagweaver
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
BTW - having lived in Georgia for 4 years, yes the men there are fairly chauvanistic and behind the times.

Return to Top
#1240264 - 08/27/09 04:11 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Becca
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Originally Posted By: RR JLJ

Pot, meet Kettle.

laugh

But...I...wait...cr*p.
Last edited by RR JLJ; 08/27/09 04:12 PM. Reason: the guy I went out with last weekend is not and has never been a farrier...so there!

Return to Top
#1240353 - 08/27/09 04:59 PM Re: Question for the Guys RR Jen
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
From this guys perspective, giving you a check for suits that you already bought is strange. If you are broke, or you bought the suits for his functions, I can see it.

I always offered to help my wife pay for things she needed before we got married, and occasionally she would acccept, but I never had a problem when she didn't. Now she buys what she wants, and so do I, we both work.

Return to Top
#1240372 - 08/27/09 05:19 PM Re: Question for the Guys Bankster
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Haha, I got him to take the check back... smile

Return to Top
#1240383 - 08/27/09 05:28 PM Re: Question for the Guys Retired DQ
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
should have cashed it and bought a case of Aqua Net

Return to Top
#1240384 - 08/27/09 05:29 PM Re: Question for the Guys Retired DQ
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Next time just use the money to buy matching shoes! or pm me for my bank routing and checking account number and I'll go buy shoes!!! laugh

Return to Top
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett