Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#394862 - 08/01/05 08:17 PM Safe deposit box entry rights
Anonymous
Unregistered

When the sole-owner of a safe deposit box dies, who has access to the box i.e. to perform a will search? Would it be the executor of his/her estate and if so, is there specific legal language/documentation that is required to authorize such a search? Some examples of industry best practices concerning these types of situations would be helpful and very much appreciated!

Return to Top
#1253032 - 09/18/09 05:55 PM Re: Safe deposit box entry rights Anonymous
dg Offline
Platinum Poster
Pacific NW
You have probably recieved the answer to this question since it was posted in 2005 however other viewers may benefit. I spoke with our Attorney regarding this question as we have a situation where a sole owner of a SDB dies and family members assume, but do not know, that the will is in the soley-owned SDB. Keep in mind that no Personal Representative has been appointed because no will has yet surfaced. Our Attorney guided me to RCW 11.32.010 Appointment for special administrators. What this does is gives a court appointed person access to enter a SDB to search for a will. The Attorney also suggested that when we recieve the court appointed special administrator papers from the court that we read the appointment in it's entirety. He also told us that we can request specific language to be placed in orders such as when it can be entered, perhaps how many times it can be entered (I suggest only once) etc. I hope this helps someone out there in the good ol' St of WA.

Return to Top