Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1256743 - 09/24/09 09:01 PM E-Statements - getting people to sign up
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
What have other banks done to get as many customers signed up for estatements as possible?

Some ideas we've had here - Big push/promo - give something away to all who sign up; "how to sign up" brochures at teller stations and new accounts desks; online banking popup before you get to the actual account listing page reminding customers to sign up; etc.

They wanted customers to be able to do all of the signing up at the new accounts desks, but I've been saying no due to esign requirements - been getting a lot of flack for that. So, I'm trying to at least help come up with ideas on how to get more customers on board.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1256789 - 09/24/09 10:27 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up CalifDreamin
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Give them an incentive or make it cheaper are about the only thing that works.

Return to Top
#1256958 - 09/25/09 02:35 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up rlcarey
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Price differentiation is the only thing likely to work. That means charging more for paper statements than e-statements. If you're charging $0.00 for paper statements, then you would have to pay customers to take e-statements. Since you aren't trying to find ways to increase costs, that leaves you with a single (unpopular) choice.

You can't force account holders to accept e-statements and, as you point out, you can't get the necessary ESIGN consent at a CSR desk (unless you provide wireless internet access and the customer brings his/her laptop.)

Return to Top
#1257987 - 09/28/09 06:33 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up Richard Insley
fla banker Offline
New Poster
We have a local CU that has a checking act product that pays a really good interest rate up to $25,000 if you: go online and enroll for estatement after the act is open and conduct a minimum of 12 "credit" transactions a month with your debit card.If you don't meet the 12, during the month you don't get the interest. I thought this was a pretty smart way to both decrease cost & increase interchange income. Heck, I signed up so I could earn a better rate as a customer.

Return to Top
#1259553 - 09/30/09 07:32 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up CalifDreamin
SusyG Offline
100 Club
I think a lot of banks struggle with this. Especially those that do enforce the "demonstrable consent", but we may not be in the majority. We are located in mostly rural areas and try to emphasize the security issue of not having your statement sitting out in your mailbox on your rural route. That usually gets their interest anyway.

Return to Top
#1259735 - 09/30/09 09:08 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up SusyG
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By: SusyG
I think a lot of banks struggle with this.

You have to put yourself in your customer's shoes and ask the same questions that are going through his/her mind--
- what's in it for me?
- will it cost more?
- it's "technology" & that's complicated, right?
- will you allow me to retreat to paper if e-docs don't work out for me?

Many years ago, bankers and their customers went through the same kind of exercise when ATMs were introduced. Some customers loved the idea & taught themselves, but others were convinced they couldn't handle the "technology". This later group required hand-holding but eventually became ATM users.

Hand-holding in the era of e-statements might take the form of a demo sign-up session in the bank plus a "hot line" (crutch) in case the customer needs more hand-holding during the consent session. Once the first e-doc is delivered, the customer will probably be good to go for the rest of his/her life.

Return to Top
#1260033 - 10/01/09 03:17 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up CalifDreamin
DonnaK Offline
Michigan
My credit union offered free web bill pay in exchange for signing up for e-statements. I held out on e-statements until they offered something for doing it and I'm glad I did. I wasn't willing to pay the $3.95 a month for web bill pay.

Return to Top
#1260576 - 10/02/09 12:40 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up DonnaK
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
You could try the "going green": angle, a lot of folks are environment sensitive these days.

Return to Top
#1262503 - 10/06/09 08:03 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up DonnaK
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: dmk2006
My credit union offered free web bill pay in exchange for signing up for e-statements. I held out on e-statements until they offered something for doing it and I'm glad I did. I wasn't willing to pay the $3.95 a month for web bill pay.

Free bill pay is a very logical choice, since bill pay and e-statements naturally appeal to the same type of customer.

Also, consider promoting the "green" angle (as mentioned above) as well as the security angle. I'd rather have my statement sitting on the bank's secure website than in my mailbox all day.

Return to Top
#1266704 - 10/14/09 08:39 PM Re: E-Statements - getting people to sign up JacF
Kitty Offline
100 Club
Kitty
We just started offering E-Statements and have been using the "green" angle. We have had a good initial response but are hoping it will continue.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z