Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1263165 - 10/07/09 06:15 PM Customer Due Diligence
nbk2yj2 Offline
Platinum Poster
Paradise!
OK

I'm NOT your compliance guru by a long shot, however...i need to understand something. Is it mandatory to be asking the customer due diligence questions such as are you a foreign government official....during the account opening process or does asking these questions depend on to some degree the risk level of my instituion?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1263169 - 10/07/09 06:18 PM Re: Customer Due Diligence nbk2yj2
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Since there is no PEP list, you won't know if you don't ask.

Some EDD questions would be triggered by risk, but others would be routine.

Return to Top
#1263324 - 10/07/09 08:41 PM Re: Customer Due Diligence nbk2yj2
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
From the great stone tablets (the Manual):

PEP accounts are not limited to large or internationally focused banks. A PEP can open an account at any bank, regardless of its size or location. Banks should have risk-based procedures for identifying PEP accounts and assessing the degree of risks involved, which will vary

What they are saying is that you could not dismiss the possibility of banking a PEP just because you were located in northwestern Nebraska. However, in Florida, well, Florida is the "A League" for AML compliance. Geography and cultural diversity dictate you make some attempt to identify PEPs at account inception at least. I dealt with a banker in the panhandle last year who found a member of the Saudi family (Americanized name, no less) on his wire transfer log.

In Mount Dora you may get away with: Are you, any of your family members, or close associates affilated with the government of a foreign country? In Miami, that's just foreplay.

It's not that it's mandatory, it's just that you have to do it. wink

Return to Top
#1263359 - 10/07/09 09:13 PM Re: Customer Due Diligence Elwood P. Dowd
nbk2yj2 Offline
Platinum Poster
Paradise!
Lol smile

I...... get it

Thanks to you both

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z