Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1272000 - 10/22/09 07:29 PM HPML - one year note
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
One year note on guys home - HPML but because it is only one year do we avoid HPML?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1272044 - 10/22/09 07:54 PM Re: HPML - one year note Burgess
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
ok, my issue is this: can loan officers escape HPML on a other-wise qualifying balloon note, simply by making the balloon for a term of one year. The exception at 226.34 talks in terms of bridge loans and other temporary notes with a term of one year or less. So i guess if the loan officer does a one year balloon with no obligation to renew it - he has escaped HPML status.

Return to Top
#1272052 - 10/22/09 07:58 PM Re: HPML - one year note Burgess
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Is it a temporary loan as described in 226.35(a)(3), or a short term loan? If it's temporary it's exempt. If it's short term it's not.

Return to Top
#1272057 - 10/22/09 08:01 PM Re: HPML - one year note Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
So i guess if the loan officer does a one year balloon with no obligation to renew it - he has escaped HPML status.

No he hasn't. Nothing temporary about a 1 year balloon loan, it's simply a short term loan.

These type "games" will get you in some serious trouble because I can assure you MDIA, HPML and all the other revisions are going to be looked at very closely in the next compliance exams.

Return to Top
#1272059 - 10/22/09 08:02 PM Re: HPML - one year note Dan Persfull
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
i can't get through my head what the difference is between temporary and short term. 226.35(a)(3) gives me an example of a bridge loan being temporary - so what is it that would make other notes temporary? It almost sounds like it would have to be a bridge type loan to trigger the one year exception for a balloon note.

Return to Top
#1272066 - 10/22/09 08:08 PM Re: HPML - one year note Burgess
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Temporary loans are generally loans such as construction loans, bridge/swing loans or loans that are structured to be replaced by long term financing when it comes due.

I for one would not consider any loan that has a P&I payment scheduled as a temporary loan. They are simply short term balloon loans and you would have a very hard time convincing me otherwise.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z