Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1276084 - 10/28/09 04:24 PM Converted Item Return (ACH / Check Presentment (s)
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
Re-clarification please John Burnett on your entry posted 3/09/09 concerning presentment of items. We have a situation in operations department over ACH POP debits that have come through three times, been returned as NSF from this institution three times, and today same item has been presented (fourth time) out of the ACH system as a 'Pre-Authorized Debit'. According to a UMACHA representative, this is actually a rules violation to ever present an item more than three total times (including as ACH or paper). Operations has returned the paper with punched out account number and 'please do not re-deposit'...the entry of 03/09/09 is referring only to BOC and ARC entries, but UMACHA staff person indicated that these are not allowed more than three total either. This is what I had always understood as correct also, but operations staff presented me your answer...help....

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1276655 - 10/29/09 02:59 AM Re: Converted Item Return (ACH / Check Presentment (s) kiemo
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
NACHA rules don't extend beyond ACH items. The attempt to use a paper item -- it sounds like it would qualify as a "remotely created check" as that term is defined in Regulation CC -- would be perfectly legal and authorized if the drawer of the original check had agreed to it in the event that the check -- in paper or ACH format -- can't be collected.

That said, the only person to whom your bank could be accountable for bouncing that paper item is your depositor, who has already been clobbered with three overdraft fees by my count, and would probably not be at all bothered by your refusal to pay it.

Just understand, of course, that your customer still owes the money to the payee.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1276716 - 10/29/09 01:24 PM Re: Converted Item Return (ACH / Check Presentment (s) John Burnett
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
Thanks much John.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z